Score: Oral Roberts 2 – Omaha 0
Records: ORU (15-9, 6-1 SL) – UNO (13-9, 6-1 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Behind a strong pitching performance from Guillermo Trujillo, the Oral Roberts baseball team shut out Omaha Friday night, winning the opening game of the series 2-0. The win moves ORU into a tie with Omaha for first place in the Summit League.
ORU had just seven hits in the game, but was able to string together a rally in the fourth to score the only two runs of the game.
No Maverick had more than one hit on the day and the ORU pitching staff allowed just one walk. Tyler Fox took the loss on the mound, giving up just two runs on seven hits in seven innings.
ORU scored a pair of runs in the fourth inning to give Trujillo all the cushion he needed.
Oral Roberts: Matt Brandy had two hits, while Sequeira walked twice and earned the save on the mound. Trujillo registered nine strikeouts and just one walk in eight innings en route to the win.
Omaha: Alex Schultz, Cole Gruber, Daniel Jewett, Tim Schaareman and Collin Leif each had a hit for the Mavericks.
Inside the Box Score
- Trujillo matched his career high with nine strikeouts.
- It was the second shutout of the season for ORU, while Omaha went scoreless for the first time in 2015.
- Matt Brandy had a pair of hits, the only Golden Eagle with more than one base knock.
- Sequeira earned his first save of the season, retiring the final two batters of the game.
- Winners of seven of the last eight games, ORU had fewer than 10 hits for just the third time during that stretch and scored the fewest runs since March 8 against Dallas Baptist.
- ORU finally broke through in the bottom of the fourth inning after a leadoff single by Sequeira and a single by Afenir. A failed pickoff put runners on the corners and a ground ball from Derrian James scored the game's opening run on the fielder's choice.
- A bloop single to center field from Dean Wilson scored James and put the Golden Eagles up 2-0 after four innings.
The two teams will face off in game two of the three game series at 2 p.m. Saturday.