Score: Oral Roberts 11 – Omaha 1
Records: ORU (16-9, 7-1 SL) – UNO (13-10, 6-2 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts Baseball team scored seven runs with two outs and earned a run-rule victory over Omaha to take over first place in the Summit League, topping the Mavericks 11-1 Saturday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
In addition to another solid performance on the mound from Xavier Altamirano, who went seven innings giving up just one run on three hits with seven strikeouts, the Golden Eagles got hits from nine different batters in the lineup . ORU finished the day with 15 hits, the third most this season.
In the third inning, ORU got four runs, all with two outs, to get a 5-0 lead.
Oral Roberts: Rolando Martinez was one of six different ORU hitters to have two hits in the game and had the lone extra base hit with a double in the third to start the four-run inning. Audie Afenir had a team-high four RBI.
Omaha: The Mavericks had just three hits in the game, with Clayton Taylor, Daniel Jewett and Adam Caniglia each reaching safely. Caniglia was on base twice, drawing the only walk of the game for Omaha.
Inside the Box Score
- Of the first 12 hits for ORU, nine came with two outs, and all four runs in the third inning came with two outs.
- ORU had 15 hits, the second most in a conference game this season.
- The run-rule victory is ORU's second in the last three games, having topped UALR in seven innings on Tuesday.
- The victory put ORU at 7-1 in the Summit League and in sole possession of first place in the league.
- The ORU pitching staff has combined to earn 17 strikeouts and given up just two walks in 17 innings against Omaha.
- Chase Stafford came in as a pinch runner and earned a base hit in his only at-bat, extending his on-base streak to 18 games in which he's played. Matt Brandy and Audie Afenir each stretched their on-base streaks to 15 games.
- The Golden Eagles plated a run in the second inning after three straight singles by Derrian James, Nick Roark, and Dean Wilson.
- After just missing a 3-run homerun in the third inning after it hooked foul, Afenir blasted a triple to right center to score a pair and make it 3-0.
- James gave the Golden Eagles a 4-0 lead in the third with a single through the left side to score Afenir from third.
- Roark polished off the inning with an RBI single to left center to score James and give ORU a 5-0 lead.
- Martinez came through with another 2-out RBI hit in the bottom of the sixth, scoring Wilson from second on a single off the glove of the Omaha first baseman to make it 6-0.
- Brandy added another run in the sixth with a single up the middle to score Stafford, who came in as a pinch runner and stole second.
- Omaha finally broke through and scored the Maverick's first run of the series in the seventh inning after a leadoff single and a double to left, cutting the ORU lead to 7-1.
- The Golden Eagles added to their lead in the bottom of the eighth. After leadoff singles by Whatley and Stafford, Brandy and Anthony Sequeira drew walks to load the bases and walk in a run.
- Afenir made it 10-1 on a two RBI single up the middle and the game ended on a double play that plated another run to make it 11-1.
ORU will look for the series sweep over Omaha in the final game of the series Sunday at 1 p.m.