Score: ORU 0 – Dallas Baptist 16
Records: ORU (6-4), DBU (7-2)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Oral Roberts University's offense was in short supply in the series opener Friday against No. 23 Dallas Baptist as the Golden Eagles were shutout by the Patriots in a 16-0 loss at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
ORU dropped to 6-4 overall this season, while DBU improved to 7-2. It was the third straight victory for the Patriots over the Golden Eagles.
DBU used an 11-run top of the fifth to break the game open, including a grand slam and a three-run home run, both from Trooper Reynolds.
Patriot designated hitter Trooper Reynolds recorded the first of nine RBI in the game in the top of the second inning as he put DBU up 1-0 with an infield single to bring home Justin Wall.
Inside the Box Score
- Redshirt freshman Noah Cummings had two of ORU's four hits in the game, including the only Golden Eagle extra base hit with a double in the eighth.
- Rolando Martinez reached base two times with a single and a walk, and Logan Domenico recorded a single to lead off the top of the first.
- Guillermo Trujillo (1-2) struggled in the start on the mound, allowing nine runs in four innings to take the loss.
- Sean Leary pitched the final three innings for the Golden Eagles, holding the Patriots hitless and striking out two batters.
- Trooper Reynolds had two home runs, both in the fifth inning, and a single. He drove in nine runners and scored three times.
- Joseph Shaw (3-0) went seven innings to earn the win for the Patriots.
- The Patriots jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the top of the second as Justin Wall scored on a single by Trooper Reynolds and Chane Lynch brought home Reynolds on a sacrifice fly.
- In the fourth, Nash Knight made it 3-0 with a sacrifice fly to center.
- Following three straight walks, Reynolds hit his first home run of the fifth, extending the DBU lead to 7-0.
- A little later in the fifth, Knight reached with an RBI double and Drew Turbin followed with a two-run double to make it 9-0.
- DBU added two more runs before Reynolds lifted off again for a three-run blast to give the Patriots a 14-0 lead after five innings.
- The Patriots made it 16-0 in the top of the seventh inning as Camden Duzenack was pushed in on a bases loaded walk and Daniel Salters scored on a sacrifice fly.
Saturday, ORU and DBU will take part in a doubleheader beginning at 2 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The second game of the doubleheader was added earlier in the week because of cancelled dates due to weather that has affected both programs.