Score: Texas Tech 7 – Oral Roberts 4
Records: TTU (15-6) – ORU (10-9)
Location: Rip Griffin Park / Lubbock, Texas
LUBBOCK, Texas – The Oral Roberts baseball team had plenty of opportunities for the mid-week sweep of No. 12 Texas Tech, but five double plays by the Red Raider defense proved the difference as the Golden Eagles fell 7-4 Wednesday.
Matt Whatley had the big hit for the Golden Eagles, taking a pitch deep to left in the ninth inning to give ORU life after a three run home run to make it 7-4. Whatley and Nick Roark each finished with a pair of hits.
Bryce Howe (0-1) took the loss on the mound after going 3.2 innings and was charged with four runs. Jacob Patterson pitched three scoreless innings to get the win for Texas Tech.
With exception of Michael Davis, who had three hits from the eighth spot in the order, it was the top of the Texas Tech Lineup that did the damage as Cory Raley and Stephen Smith combined for five hits, four runs and an RBI.
Down 5-1, ORU had the bases loaded in the top of the seventh inning, but the fifth double play of the game for Texas Tech ended the ORU threat.
Oral Roberts: Matt Whatley had two hits, including a three run home run in the ninth inning. Nick Roark also had two hits and scored a run.
Texas Tech: Cory Raley was 3-5 at the plate with three runs scored. Michael Davis was 3-4 and also scored a run.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU had the leadoff man on in each of the first three innings with singles from Whatley, Anthony Sequeira and Emmmanuel Forcier.
- Texas Tech turned a double play in each of the second, third and fourth innings and finished with five for the game, the most by the Red Raiders in 15 years.
- ORU had a chance to rally in the fifth, loading the bases with no outs, but were unable to plate a run in the inning.
- The Golden Eagles didn't lack base runners, getting nine hits in the game, with Roark and Whatley each notching a pair of base hits.
- Whatley hit the lone home run of the game, his second home run and sixth extra base hit of the season.
- Chase Stafford extended his on-base streak to 13 games after drawing a pair of walks in the game.
- Raley led off the bottom half of the first with a triple and came around to score on Stephen Smith's single up the middle.
- ORU answered right back in the top of the second after Sequiera led off the inning with a single and scored on Audie Afenir's RBI double to tie the game at 1-1.
- The Red Raiders took advantage of mistakes by the Golden Eagles to grab a 2-1 lead in the third after a walk, a hit batter and a wild pitch allowed Smith to score.
- After loading the bases in the bottom of the fourth, Eric Gutierrez drew the walk and Tyler Neslony was hit by a pitch, giving the Red Raiders a 4-1 lead.
- Texas Tech tacked on another run in the sixth after a leadoff single by Raley who worked his way around and scored on an infield single by Neslony.
- A sacrifice fly from Tyler Floyd scored Tim Proudfoot to make it 6-1 in the seventh inning.
- It took until the eighth inning for either team to commit an error, and a bad throw from third allowed Gutierrez to score to make it 7-1.
ORU hosts IPFW in a Summit League series March 20-22. First pitch Friday is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. from J.L. Johnson Stadium.