Score: Oral Roberts 19 – Western Illinois 1
Records: ORU (22-10, 16-6) – Western Illinois (9-18, 5-8 SL)
Location: Alfred D. Boyer Stadium – Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. – Derrian James went 6-for-6 with five RBI and helped the Oral Roberts Baseball team dominate Western Illinois Friday with a 19-1 win in the Summit League series opener at Alfred D. Boyer Stadium.
James was the first ORU player with six hits in a game since Kelly Minissale went 6-for-7 in a blowout win over Southern Utah on May 12, 2006. James scored four of the Golden Eagles' runs and drove in five while adding a pair of doubles.
ORU scored in every inning but the second and sixth as they plated seven runs in the top half of the seventh to seal the run-rule victory. Seven different Golden Eagles had multiple hits as Anthony Sequeira belted his fifth home run of the season and Matt Brandy added four RBI.
Xavier Altamirano pitched six solid innings and allowed just one run on seven hits to earn his fourth win of the season. Altamirano walked just one as he struck out seven Leathernecks before Philip Wilson pitched a perfect seventh.
Western Illinois managed just seven hits as Brent Turner went 2-for-3 and picked up the only RBI for the Leathernecks.
Audie Afenir laced a one out RBI single into center field that scored Derrian James to give ORU a 2-1 lead. Just one batter later, Noah Cummings drove in Matt Brandy on a sacrifice fly to right center as the Golden Eagles dominated in the 19-1 win.
Oral Roberts: Derrian James went 6-for-6 and has hit safely in seven consecutive at-bats as he added five RBI. He also scored four runs and added two doubles.
Western Illinois: Brent Turner went 2-for-3 with an RBI for the Leathernecks.
Inside the Box Score
- The 19 runs for the Golden Eagles were the most since ORU beat Mississippi Valley State, 20-4 on May 6, 2012.
- The 20 hits for ORU were the most since recording 23 against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on April 27, 2014.
- James was one hit shy of the ORU single-game record held by Jeff Stallings. (7 hits vs. TCU on March 14, 1999)
- Going back to Tuesday night's game winning hit against Texas Tech, James has now hit safely in seven straight at-bats. The streak eclipses Jose Trevino's mark of six straight from May 18-17, 2012.
- James was the first ORU player with six hits in a game since Kelly Minissale went 6-for-7 in a blowout win over Southern Utah on May 12, 2006.
- Anthony Sequeira and Matt Whatley have both hit safely in their last eight games – the second longest streak for an ORU player this season.
- Matt Brandy has reached base safely in 22 straight games as Chase Stafford's streak came to an end at 21 games.
- Anthony Sequeira put ORU on top in the first inning with a RBI single to left that scored Derrian James. James singled in his first at bat and stole second before Sequeira drove him in.
- Western Illinois scored their only run in the bottom of the second when Brent Turner singled home JJ Reimer to tie the game at 1-1.
- Audie Afenir singled home James in the top of the third inning to help ORU retake the lead, 2-1.
- Noah Cummings followed Afenir with a sacrifice fly to right that scored Matt Brandy. Brandy walked after James started the inning with a single.
- The ORU fourth inning started with a Dean Wilson walk as he would score two batters later when James singled him home. Brandy followed James with an RBI that scored Matt Whatley when Western Illinois failed to turn the double play putting the Golden Eagles up, 5-1.
- Afenir picked up his second RBI that scored Brandy after Sequeira reached on an error with two outs as ORU took a 6-1 into the bottom of the fourth inning.
- ORU scored six straight runs in the fifth inning in just three at-bats when James laced a one out single to left scoring Dean Wilson and Nick Roark. Brandy followed with a bases clearing double as James and Whatley both crossed the plate.
- Sequeira caped the fifth inning scoring with a blast to center field scoring Brandy and giving ORU a 12-1 lead.
- Brandy started the seven-run seventh inning with a RBI double in the gap in left scoring James who led-off the inning with a double of his own.
- Mason Mantle entered for Sequeira and hit a ground-rule double to left as Brandy's run gave the Golden Eagles a 14-1 lead.
- The final four runs in the seventh for ORU came with two outs as Dean Wilson singled home Cummings and Mantle before a walk to Emmanuel Forcier chased the Western Illinois pitcher.
- A single from Whatley scored Wilson to give ORU a 17-1 lead with two outs in the seventh.
- James finished the ORU scoring with his sixth hit of the game as he drilled a two RBI double down the line in left to score Whatley and Forcier in what was the final score, 19-1.
ORU and Western Illinois return to the diamond Saturday in the middle game of the series slated for a noon first pitch. The final game of the series will also start at noon on Sunday.