Score: Oral Roberts 5 – Western Illinois 0
Records: ORU (24-10, 13-2 SL) – Western Illinois (9-20, 5-10 SL)
Location: Alfred D. Boyer Stadium – Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. – A combined one-hitter from the Oral Roberts pitching staff helped the Golden Eagle baseball team shutout Western Illinois, 5-0 Sunday to complete the series sweep of the Leathernecks.
Tyler Buss (2-0), Jacob McDavid and Anthony Sequeira combined to allow just one hit and two walks as the Golden Eagles won their fifth straight Sunday. Buss was tabbed the winner – his second victory of the season – and allowed the only hit and two walks to the Leathernecks.
Buss also struck out six in 5.1 innings of work while McDavid struck out two and Sequeira needed just 14 pitches in the ninth to strike out all three batters he faced.
Derrian James continued his torrid pace with his third home run of the season and ninth hit of the series to finish 1-for-5.
Dean Wilson and Matt Brandy were the only Golden Eagles to have multiple hits as each player earned two each. ORU finished with eight hits in Sunday's finale after totaling 30 hits combined in the first two games of the series.
Brent Turner had the only hit of the day going 1-for-3 for Western Illinois, as starting pitcher Preston Church (1-6) was the tabbed loser.
Chase Stafford singled home Dean Wilson for his second RBI of the game in the fourth inning and gave ORU a 2-0 lead. Stafford's first RBI came on a bases loaded walk in the top of the second, which proved to be enough runs on a day where the Golden Eagle pitching staff was nearly unhittable.
Oral Roberts: Derrian James went 1-for-5 with a home run while Matt Brandy was 2-for-5 with a run scored. Starter Tyler Buss pitched 5.1 innings allowing just one hit and two walks while striking out eight to improve to 2-0.
Western Illinois: Brent Turner had the only hit for Western Illinois going 1-for-3.
Inside the Box Score
- The Golden Eagles have won five straight games and 14 of their last 15 games.
- The last time ORU one-hit their opponent came from Alex Gonzalez's complete game one-hitter against Western Illinois on April 21, 2012. Gonzalez threw seven innings, allowed one hit and two walks while striking out five.
- ORU outscored Western Illinois 34-1 during the three-game series.
- Derrian James continues his torrid pace in the middle of a seven-game hit streak. James was 9-for-15 during the weekend and 10-for-20 for the week with 11 RBI a home run and five doubles.
- The Golden Eagle pitching staff recorded 13 strikeouts combined. It was the second most this season behind 16 against North Dakota State on March 15.
- The Golden Eagles struck first in the top of the second inning, as Chase Strafford worked a bases loaded walk for his first RBI and first run of the game.
- Stafford picked up his second RBI in the fourth inning with an RBI single that scored Dean Wilson. Wilson reached one batter earlier on an error and moved into scoring position on a passed ball.
- ORU broke the game open in the top of the fifth when Derrian James led-off the inning with his third home run of the season. Audie Afenir tallied his only RBI on a sacrifice fly to right scoring Matt Brandy who followed the James homer with a double.
- Dean Wilson capped the game scoring with a RBI single to left in the eighth inning to put ORU up 5-0. Wilson scored Noah Cummings who led-off the inning with single.
ORU continues its road swing Tuesday at 9th-ranked Oklahoma State. First pitch in Stillwater is scheduled for 6 p.m. from Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.