Score: Gold 5 - Blue 4
Records: Gold (2-1), Blue (1-2)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Gold claimed the 2014 Oral Roberts University baseball Blue-Gold Fall World Series Saturday afternoon as they defeated Blue 5-4 at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
After plating a run in the bottom of the third, Gold broke open the game in the bottom of the fourth with three runs on four hits to make it 4-0.
The Blue team cut the lead to 4-2 in the next half inning on two singles, including an RBI infield single of the bat in Emmanuel Forcier, and then added another run in the top of the fifth to make it 4-3.
The two squads traded runs in the over the next two half innings for the final 5-4 outcome.
Inside the Box Score
- Matt Whatley had the lone extra-base hit in the game with a RBI double. He also singled and walked, scoring both times.
- Nick Roark picked up two RBI singles for Gold, Charles Craighead singled twice and drove in two runs and Mason Mantle reached twice with two hits and drove in a run.
- Emmanuel Forcier led Blue with three hits, drove in a run and scored a run.
- Matt Brandy had two hits with an RBI and a run for Blue.
- Korbin Polly closed the game in the seventh for Gold to record the save.
- Nick Roark started the scoring in the bottom of the second with a single that scored Matt Whatley to give Gold a 1-0 lead.
- Anthony Sequeira singled to left, advanced to third on a Whatley double and scored on a Roark infield single to make it 2-0 Gold.
- With the bases loaded, Charles Craighead drove in Whatley with a sacrifice fly to center to extend the lead to 3-0.
- Noah Cummings rounded out the scoring as he crossed the plate on a single up the middle by Mason Mantle to give Gold a 4-0 lead after three innings.
- Ryan Wagner scored the first run of the game for Blue in the top of the fourth, scoring on a bases loaded wild pitch to cut the Gold lead to 4-1.
- A little later in the inning, Emmanuel Forcier reached on an infield single that plated Rolando Martinez.
- Blue continued to cut into Gold's lead in the top of the fifth as Matt Brandy scored on a sacrifice fly off the bat of Justin Robison.
- Gold extended its lead to 5-3 in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI single by Whatley that brought home Craighhead.
- In the top of the sixth, Forcier started the inning with a single and eventually scored on a sac fly by Brandy to cut the lead to 5-4.
ORU will kick off the 2015 baseball campaign February 13 as the Golden Eagles host Memphis in the first game of a three-game set.