Score: ORU 13 - SIU Edwardsville 3
Records: ORU (5-1), SIUE (0-6)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts University baseball team completed a three-game sweep of SIU Edwardsville with a 13-3 victory in the series finale Saturday at J.L. Johnson Stadium. ORU improved to 5-1 this season, its best start since the 2009 season, while the Cougars dropped to 0-6.
Six ORU batters had multiple hits as the team rattled off 16 total hits in the game. The Golden Eagles totaled 40 hits in the series, the most since collecting 42 at Lamar in 2013.
Redshirt freshman Noah Cummings highlighted the ORU offense with a 4-5 day at the plate, and Anthony Sequeira continued to stay hot in the early going this season with a pair of hits, two RBI and three runs scored.
Sequeira recorded seven hits, seven RBI and scored five times in the series.
After SIUE took its only lead of the series in the top of the third, the Golden Eagles regained control in the home half of the third with five runs on just two hits and two Cougar errors.
Inside the Box Score
- Noah Cummings continues to make a statement in his rookie season as a 4-5 day at the plate improved his average to .444. He scored twice and drove in a run in the ORU victory.
- Anthony Sequeira's average improved to .650 after two more hits on Saturday. The senior drove in two runs and scored three times. He also saw time out of the bullpen in the eighth inning, striking out two batters.
- Logan Domenico, Matt Brandy and Rolando Martinez each had two hits and scored two runs. Martinez also drove in two RBI.
- Dean Wilson had a double, and Audie Afenir picked up a single in the eighth.
- Xavier Altamirano (1-1) earned his first victory as a Golden Eagle, throwing five innings and striking out three.
- Nick Lombardo, Alec Saikal and Mario Tursi each had a double and a single to lead Cougar lineup.
- Mike Miller (0-2) allowed six runs, only two of which were earned, in 2.2 innings to take the loss.
- ORU made it three straight contests with a lead after the first inning as Logan Domenico singled and scored on an Anthony Sequeira sacrifice fly to take a 1-0 lead.
- SIUE took a 2-1 lead after the top of the second with a RBI double down the right field line off the bat of Mario Tursi to plate Alec Saikal, and a sacrifice fly by Nick Lombardo to drive in Dustin Woodcock.
- In the bottom of the third, ORU answered with five run, starting with Domenico scoring on an SIEU error to tie the game at two runs.
- Rolando Martinez regained the lead for the Golden Eagles with a SAC fly to center to score Noah Cummings.
- With the bases loaded, an error by the SIEU shortstop allowed Brandy to score to make it 4-2.
- Following a pitching change, Dean Wilson was hit by a pitch with the bases loaded to push across Sequeira, and Derrian James drew a walk that scored Whatley, extending the ORU lead to 6-2.
- In the fourth, Forcier singled to left field to drive in Sequeira from third to make it 7-2.
- ORU added another run in the fourth as Wilson reached on a fielder's choice, allowing Martinez cross the plate on the play, making it a 8-2 game.
- The Golden Eagles extended their lead to 9-2 in the fifth as Sequeira singled through the right side to bring home Cummings.
- ORU moved the score to 12-2 in the bottom of the seventh as Martinez singled in Brandy, Sequeira scored on a groundout and Forcier drove in Martinez with a single to right.
- The Cougars cut the lead to 12-3 when a Chase Green scored on a Golden Eagle error.
- ORU answered in the bottom of the inning as Cummings drove in Afenir with a single to cap the scoring at 13-3.
ORU will be back in action a home Tuesday afternoon for a showdown with regional rival Missouri State. First pitch against the Bears is set for 3 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
|Box Score vs. SIUE 2-21-15|