Score: Indiana State 9 - Oral Roberts 5
Records: ISU (1-0) - ORU (0-1)
Location: Hogan Field – Little Rock, Ark.
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. – The Oral Roberts baseball team dropped its season opener to Indiana State, 9-5, Friday afternoon in Little Rock.
Sophomore Nick Roark picked up his first home run of his career, driving the ball out to left field in the second at bat of the game to give Oral Roberts its first lead of the game. The Sycamores answered in the bottom of the first with a run of their own after a wild pitch knotted the game at one apiece.
Indiana State would get things going in the third, scoring a trio of runs to go up 4-1, but ORU would answer right back to tie the game once more.
The sixth inning looked to be the turning point for Oral Roberts as the team put together several clutch at bats in lieu to the go-ahead run. Junior Michael Hungate singled to center field before moving into scoring position after swiping second. Trevin Sonnier was able to poke a ball through the left side for his second hit of the day.
ISU came back in the final three innings for five runs, four of which were earned.
Josh McMinn took the loss for the Golden Eagles after entering the game in the seventh. The junior gave up four hits in one inning of work. Second year right-hander Bryce Howe tossed six innings, giving up seven hits and three earned runs in his first start of the season. The Claremore, Oklahoma native struck out three on the day.
Inside the Box Score
- Roark's home run in the first was the first of his career. Prior to the game, he had five extra-base hits.
- Indiana State scored five runs in the seventh and eighth innings after trailing 5-4.
- Newcomers Michael Hungate and Trevin Sonnier were the only Golden Eagles to finish with multiple hits.
- Jeremy McKinney earned the win for ISU, going three and a third innings and allowing only four hits.
- Roark homered to left field in the top of the first.
- ISU's Dane Giesler scored on a wild pitch to tie the game at one apiece.
- Friis drew a walk and was singled home by Hunter Owen. Giesler doubled to right field to score Gardner and Owen, putting ISU on top 4-1 in the third.
- Matt Whatley drew a walk and was doubled home by Brent Williams.
- Williams was waived home from third after a sacrifice fly by Rolando Martinez.
- Chase Stafford singled and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- Hungate singled to left and stole second. Sonnier singled through the left side, scoring Hungate.
- Consecutive singles by ISU followed by a walk loaded the bases in the seventh. A sacrifice fly and a two-run single to put ISU ahead, 7-5.
- An ORU error followed by a double for the Sycamores in the eighth added two runs for the Tree's, giving Indiana State a 9-5 lead.
ORU will finish the weekend Saturday when they take on the Sycamores at noon.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.