Score: South Dakota State 3 - Oral Roberts 2
Records: ORU - (8-9, 0-1) - SDSU (3-14, 1-0)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts baseball team dropped its Summit League opener to South Dakota State, 3-2, in twelve innings at J.L. Johnson Stadium Friday night.
The Jackrabbits (3-14, 1-0) used a wild pitch on a strikeout to reach base in the top half of the inning, before advancing to third on two more pitches in the dirt. South Dakota State was able to score their left fielder in Phil Velez from third on a high chopper over the mound.
It wasn't until two-thirds of the game in that either team would score a run as both clubs struggled to find their offensive groove as pitching dominated the chilly night.
Junior Brent Williams notched his first home run in an ORU uniform in the bottom of the sixth to push the Golden Eagles (8-9, 0-1) ahead. With the two-run shot, he scored Matt Whatley who earlier reached base on a dropped third strike and an errant throw to first.
The Jackrabbits answered back though in the seventh as they struck for a pair of runs to knot things up at two. SDSU was able to capitalize on a pair of singles and a leadoff walk.
Bryce Howe went six and two third innings in the no-decision. On the night, the sophomore right-hander struck out a career high nine batters while allowing only six hits.
SDSU's Landon Busch (2-2) picked up the win after pitching the final three innings of the game. Holden Cammack was charged with the loss and fell to 0-1 on the year.
- Both the Jackrabbits and ORU each went for eight hits.
- SDSU finished with three errors, while ORU did not commit an error.
- Williams' home run in the sixth was the first of his career and the only extra-base hit of the game.
- Whatley finished 2-for-5 with a runs scored and walk. Williams also had a pair of hits.
- It was the second extra-inning game of the season for ORU. The Golden Eagles are 0-2 in the situation.
- Brady Womacks tossed an inning and two thirds allowing only one hit.
- ORU turned three double plays in the game, including a bases loaded double play in the fourth.
The Golden Eagles will continue its series with South Dakota State Saturday. First pitch is set for 2 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.