Score: Oral Roberts 13 - South Dakota State 3
Records: ORU - (9-9, 1-1) - SDSU (3-15, 1-1)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - The Oral Roberts bats came to life Saturday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium as the Golden Eagles picked up a 13-3 run-rule victory over South Dakota State.
Coming off the heels of a 3-2 extra-inning loss to the Jackrabbits a night ago, the ORU offense came out clicking Saturday on its way to a new season high in hits with 19 on the day.
Senior Rolando Martinez led the way for the Golden Eagles (9-9, 1-1 SL) at the plate, finishing with three base hits and a trio of RBI. It marks the third time this season that the Bakersfield, California native has gone for three hits in a game.
Redshirt Trevin Sonnier also finished with three hits on the afternoon, including the RBI single to end the game in the seventh.
South Dakota State came out swinging the bat, going for back-to-back home runs in the first inning. The lead would not last long for the Jackrabbits (3-15, 1-1 SL) as ORU struck for four runs in the bottom half of the first and never looked back.
- Logan Michaels earned the win to improve to 1-2 on the year. The junior went five innings, striking out seven and allowing just three runs.
- ORU scored in all but one inning.
- Right-hander Nick Wood struck out five batters in two innings of relief work.
- Eight Golden Eagles went for two or more base hits.
- Sam Grellner finished 2-for-4 with a run and RBI in his first career start.
- Eldon Evans fell to 0-3 after going just two thirds of an inning in the start.
- ORU led off five of seven innings with a baserunner.
The series will wrap up Sunday at 1 p.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium. Lefty Taylor Varnell will make his fourth start of the season for the Golden Eagles.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.