Score: Oral Roberts 10 - North Dakota State 3
Records: ORU (15-10, 5-2 SL) - North Dakota State (11-11, 2-5 SL)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. - Sophomore Bryce Howe pitched seven complete innings of one-hit baseball as Oral Roberts defeated North Dakota State, 10-3, Friday night at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The Golden Eagles countered the Bison with 15 base hits on the night.
Howe, a Claremore, Oklahoma native improved to 2-1 on the year after his longest outing of the season. Howe sat down North Dakota State (11-11, 2-5 SL) hitters in order for the first four innings before NDSU's Mason Pierzchalski singled to center for the teams' only hit of the game. In total, the right-hander retired seven Bison on strikeouts.
The Oral Roberts (15-10, 5-2 SL) offense got things going early, scoring a pair of runs in the second inning on a Trevin Sonnier two-run home run to left center. It was the redshirt senior's first home run in an ORU uniform.
The Golden Eagles bottom three hitters in the lineup finished the night with nine of the team's 15 hits. Sonnier went 4-for-5 with a pair of single, double and home run to go with two RBI and three runs scored.
Brent Williams (4-for-5) kicked off a three-run fourth inning with a single before Sonnier and Chase Stafford connected on back-to-back doubles. Nick Rotola would later bring home Stafford from third on a sacrifice fly to center field.
Williams, a junior from Colorado Springs, Colorado, added to his team-leading RBI total in the fifth with a two-run home run of his own to push the Golden Eagle lead to 7-1.
- ORU improved to 29-8 in the all-time series with the Bison.
- Brent Williams and Trevin Sonnier each recorded four hits and a home run in the game.
- Williams and Sonnier also accounted for seven of the team's 10 RBI. Nick Roark, Matt Whatley and Rolando Martinez each recorded one RBI apiece.
- Howe's seven innings of work was a new season high for the sophomore.
- Grant Glaze and Evan Eubanks tossed one inning each out of the bullpen. The duo did not allow a hit with striking out two each.
- Rolando Martinez extended his reached base streak to 16 games with a single in the seventh.
- The team hit five doubles on the day, including one from Chase Stafford who now has 10 on the season.
Oral Roberts will return to action Saturday at 2 p.m. for game two of the series. Right-hander Nick Wood will take the mound for ORU. Following the game, ORU players will be available for an Autograph Party outside the player's gate on the first base side of the stadium.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.