Score: Oral Roberts 6 - Western Illinois 1
Records: ORU (29-16, 18-6) - WIU (13-30, 10-14)
Location: J.L. Johnson Stadium - Tulsa, Okla.
Box Score (PDF)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts baseball team used a three-run fourth inning to take control of the series finale, before cruising to a 6-1 win to sweep the three-game set from Western Illinois on Senior Day at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
Three Golden Eagles (29-16, 18-6) finished with three base hits on the day, led by junior Nick Rotola who finished 3-for-4 with two runs scored, an RBI and an intentional walk. Senior Trevin Sonnier tallied three hits and a run scored while junior Trent Shelton set a new career high with a trio of singles on the day.
Right-hander Cale Tims pitched six and two-third innings of shutout baseball for his fifth win of the year. He struck out five batters and allowed only six hits to the Leathernecks. Josh McMinn closed out the game for ORU, allowing just one run on three hits while striking out three.
Oral Roberts got on the board early thanks to an RBI groundout in the first by Brent Williams. The Golden Eagles added three more runs in the fourth after Noah Cummings drove in Shelton and Chase Stafford. Williams sent a ball up the middle, scoring Rotola for the third run of the frame.
The Golden Eagles added two more runs in the contest, with one coming in the fifth on Stafford's sacrifice fly to center field and one on the eighth on a Rotola double to bring in Sonnier who earlier doubled.
The Leathernecks (13-30, 10-14) were able to get on the board in the eighth on a single from Nick Schrader with the bases loaded and one out, but McMinn was able to bounce back with a strikeout and a groundout to end the WIU threat.
- The Golden Eagles improve to 5-1 on the season against Western Illinois and 67-8 all-time in the series.
- The win marks the 11th straight at J.L. Johnson Stadium. The team last loss at home came on Mar. 25 to IPFW, 6-3.
- Nick Rotola now has five three-hit games this season.
- Chase Stafford extended his reached base streak to 13 games after drawing a walk in the fourth.
- Oral Roberts improved to 20-4 on the season after outhitting their opponent. ORU went for 14 in the game compared to WIU's nine.
- Head coach Ryan Folmar moved to 11-1 against the Leathernecks in his career.
- The Golden Eagles hold a four-game lead on Omaha with six Summit League games remaining on the schedule, including a trip to UNO to close out the season.
The Golden Eagles will hit the road this weekend for a Summit League series with South Dakota State starting Friday at 6:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU baseball, follow @ORUBaseball on Twitter or go towww.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.