Score: Alabama 4 – Oral Roberts 5
Records: UA (3-3) – ORU (5-1)
Location: Tuscaloosa, Ala. (Sewell-Thomas Stadium)
TUSCALOOSA, Ala. – The Oral Roberts baseball team built a four-run advantage over Alabama through six innings and held on for a 5-4 win Saturday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium to secure the series victory.
Noah Cummings belted a two-run home run in the top of the first inning as the Golden Eagles jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead before the Crimson Tide cut the margin to one in the second. Nick Rotola and Cummings added RBI singles in the fifth extending the lead and Trevor McCutchin scored on a wild pitch in the sixth.
Saturday marked another solid performance from the bullpen as the trio of Justin McGregor, McCutchin and Kyler Stout pitched the final 3.1 innings after starter Josh McMinn turned in 5.2 innings of two-run baseball earning his first win of the year. Alabama generated four hits against the three ORU hurlers from the pen, but the visitors held off the attack for the win.
Quote of the Game
"That was a big momentum swing right off the bat when Noah makes a big swing in the first inning for a two-run home run. We got good bullpen work again and I thought that was key. We left a lot of runners on base and left a lot of guys out there, so we have to finish innings and finish games a little bit better than we did today." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
ORU quickly got its offense in gear in the first inning as Cummings blasted a two-run home run well over the fence in left field continuing his torrid streak at the plate. The home run extended his hitting streak to all six games of the season, while the 2-0 lead from the swing gave McMinn a chance to settle in and pitch with a lead that never changed sides.
Inside the Box Score
- Cummings did not let Saturday's cooler temperatures slow down his bat as the junior posted his fifth game this season with more than one hit. He also has recorded at least one RBI in every game in 2017 going 2-for-4 with three RBI and a walk.
- After three hits in the series opener, Dylan Snypes provided more offense from the bottom of the batting order posting a 2-for-3 effort. He scored a run and drew a walk pushing his batting average to .450 for the year.
- McMinn scattered eight hits across 5.2 innings for the Golden Eagles giving up two runs with three strikeouts and no walks. The Oklahoma City, Oklahoma product also picked off a runner for second time in as many starts this season.
- McCutchin put together another strong performance from the bullpen as the sophomore allowed just one hit in 1.2 innings of work striking out a pair of Alabama hitters. He also posted a multi-hit effort at the plate going 2-for-5 and scoring a run.
- Stout was efficient for the final batter of the game as the junior needed just one pitch to force a pop up picking up his first save in 2017.
- The Golden Eagles put the lead-off runner on base in six of nine innings played Saturday, including the first three frames of the contest. It also was the fourth time the team has tallied double-digit hits in a game, totaling 23 hits in the two games played at Alabama.
- Announced attendance for the second game of the series was 3,966.
ORU will try to close out the weekend sweep of the Crimson Tide in the series finale Sunday afternoon at Sewell-Thomas Stadium. First pitch on the SEC Network is scheduled for 1 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.