Score: Fort Wayne 1 – Oral Roberts 3
Records: FW (6-21, 1-9 SL) – ORU (20-9, 9-1 SL)
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Mastodon Field)
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – The Oral Roberts baseball team utilized its defense to pick up its 20th win of the season in a 3-1 victory at Fort Wayne Friday afternoon at Mastodon Field.
Golden Eagles' starting pitcher Justin McGregor was able to battle through 7.1 scoreless innings to remain unbeaten at 5-0 in 2017 helping ORU to a 9-1 mark in Summit League action. Kyler Stout recorded a five-out save to tally his conference-leading fifth save.
Nick Roark went 3-for-4 at the plate pushing the offense on a day where hits were at a premium for ORU as it remains atop the league standings.
Quote of the Game
"Not every day are you going to score a lot of runs, so you have to play complementary baseball. Today was one of those days as we pitched and played defense to get a win on the road." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
The Golden Eagles capitalized on a Fort Wayne error in the fourth inning as Noah Cummings reached base and moved to second on a wild pitch. The Alpine, California, native scored on a line-drive double to center off the bat of Brent Williams pushing their lead to 2-0 for the eventual winning run.
Inside the Box Score
- Defense was critical for ORU in the victory as Hernandez started an inning-ending double play after the Mastodons threatened with runners on the corner and no outs in the third frame. In the sixth, Cummings' relay to Williams for a throw home to Matt Whatley caught a runner trying to score from second base and Hernandez also made two brilliant plays at third base in the seventh.
- McGregor carried his momentum from a career-best performance last Friday to the mound in Fort Wayne posting another fantastic performance throwing 7.1 innings. The junior allowed just one run and scattered nine hits to lower his league-leading earned run average to 1.74.
- Nick Roark reached base four times for the Golden Eagles going 3-for-4 and added a walk to pace the offense. He gave the visitors an insurance run in the top of the ninth singling home Trent Shelton, who drew a lead-off walk.
- ORU opened the scoring in the second inning as Williams singled before racing around the bases on a double from Sam Grellner.
- Stout closed out the save, but had to overcome the tying run reaching base in the ninth getting a strikeout before ending on a slow ground ball to first. He lowered his ERA for the year to 0.49.
- Fort Wayne ended the opening game of the series out-hitting ORU by a 12-6 margin.
The Golden Eagles continue The Summit League weekend series Saturday afternoon against the Mastodons with temperatures expected to rise in Fort Wayne. First pitch is slated for 2 p.m. (CST).
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.