Score: Fort Wayne 1 – Oral Roberts 15 (8 innings)
Records: FW (6-22, 1-10 SL) – ORU (21-9, 10-1 SL)
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Mastodon Field)
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – Six different players recorded multi-hit efforts for the Oral Roberts baseball team in a commanding 15-1, short-inning victory at Fort Wayne Saturday afternoon to claim The Summit League series.
The Golden Eagles got their offense back on track launching three home runs and nine extra-base hits as all nine starters posted at least one hit. Sam Grellner, Noah Cummings and Dylan Snypes all had three hits on the afternoon pacing the squad as Grellner came a triple short of hitting for the cycle.
Josh McMinn scattered seven hits across 6.1 shutout innings in the start for ORU picking up his fifth win of the season. Despite allowing base runners in each of his innings pitched, the sophomore did not give up an earned run during his outing.
Quote of the Game
"It was good to see our guys get going a bit and it kind of snowballed as we got rolling there in the middle of the game. We needed a breakout game like that offensively and hopefully that was it to get us back on track." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
After leaving the bases loaded in both of the first two innings, Cummings hit a lead-off single to start the third before Brent Williams sent a mammoth home run into the Fort Wayne tennis courts behind the fence in left field getting the Golden Eagles on the scoreboard. The two-run blast jump started the offensive outburst in ORU's most runs since scoring 15 times against Fort Wayne March 26, 2016.
Inside the Box Score
- Not to be overlooked, the Golden Eagles' defense was critical for the second day in a row to keep the Mastodons off the board early. All three outfielders came up with fantastic catches, including a pair from Cummings in the fifth, leading to his team-leading seventh home run in the next frame.
- McMinn matched Justin McGregor with his Summit League-leading fifth victory of the year winning for the fourth time in his last five starts striking out five Mastodon hitters.
- Spencer Henson dropped a single into right center in the top of the fifth for his first hit in a Golden Eagles' uniform.
- The first nine batters in the eighth inning reached base safely, including a pinch-hit, RBI double by Harrison Smith and a pinch-hit walk by Alex Schmitz, as the visitors posted six runs to close out the contest in run-rule fashion. It was the first run-rule of the season for ORU.
- ORU belted 19 hits on the day, the most since a 19-hit effort at Western Illinois April 9, 2016. Williams, Cummings and Grellner hit long balls, while Michael Hungate totaled two doubles and nine hitters registered a RBI.
- The Mastodons had chances to break through on offense, but left 10 runners on base, including at least one in seven of eight innings played. ORU stranded 12 runners, including the bases loaded three separate times.
- The game was delayed nearly 90 minutes after waiting for the conclusion of the Fort Wayne softball doubleheader on an adjacent field.
ORU goes for the road sweep of Fort Wayne Sunday afternoon starting at approximately 12 p.m. (CST).
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.