Score: Oral Roberts 14 - South Dakota State 5
Records: ORU (28-11, 16-2 SL) – SDSU (16-19, 9-9 SL)
Location: Brookings, S.D. (Erv Huether Field)
BROOKINGS, S.D. – The Oral Roberts baseball team launched four home runs in a 14-5 victory at South Dakota State to close the Summit League series win Sunday afternoon at Erv Huether Field.
Trevor McCutchin broke the game open with a grand slam in the top of the seventh inning as the Golden Eagles scored six in the frame. Noah Cummings and Brent Williams went back-to-back with long balls in the first inning setting the tone early in a five-run opener for ORU.
The Jackrabbits scored twice in the second and third closing the gap to one, 5-4, as the game turned tense until the Golden Eagles regained control in the seventh. Sam Grellner padded the lead hitting a three-run home run in the top of the ninth.
ORU's pitching staff had to battle throughout the afternoon as SDSU reached double-digit hits, but were limited to five runs leaving 13 runners stranded.
Quote of the Day
"We found a way to win two out of three games in a conference weekend on the road. It was a good first inning, but we got lost in those middle innings and we have to figure out what is going on there. Moving forward, we know we need to play a little better and a little cleaner." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
With momentum slowly going the way of the home side, the Golden Eagles broke open a one-run game posting six runs in the top of the seventh to secure the series victory. Nick Roark walked and Cal Hernandez dropped a perfect bunt single to start, while Cummings and Williams delivered RBI singles before Michael Hungate walked to load the bases for McCutchin. The sophomore was looking for a first-pitch fastball and connected with the first ORU grand slam since April 15, 2015 when Audie Afenir did it at Oklahoma State.
Inside the Box Score
- Cummings and Williams got the offense started hitting back-to-back blasts, the fourth time for ORU this year, as it sent 11 batters to the plate in the opening inning. Roark and Hernandez ripped singles before Cummings' conference-best 11th home run and Williams followed with his 10th of the season. The pair later added back-to-back RBI singles getting the scoring going in the seventh.
- Nick Roark led-off for the Golden Eagles in three innings and reached base all three times posting a 2-for-4 day at the plate with two walks, despite nearly missing the game with an illness.
- Five different players tallied two hits for ORU and six players scored two runs, while Cummings and McCutchin added four RBI and Grellner totaled three.
- Miguel Ausua (7-2) had to grind out his league-leading seventh win allowing four runs on seven hits over five innings. The junior struck out seven, including getting all three outs in the first via strikeout.
- McCutchin and Bryce Howe combined to throw three scoreless innings from the bullpen and Ryan McCollough recorded the final three outs to finish out the Golden Eagles' sixth series win in The Summit League.
- ORU now has scored five or more runs in a single inning nine times in 2017, including four against the Jackrabbits.
ORU returns home for the first time in nearly three weeks continuing Summit League play hosting Fort Wayne. The series gets started Friday night under the lights of J.L. Johnson Stadium at 6:30 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.