Score: Oral Roberts 6, Wichita State 7 (10 innings)
Records: ORU (33-14) – WSU (23-25)
Location: Wichita, Kan. (Eck Stadium)
WICHITA, Kan. – Two home runs from Sam Grellner was not enough for the Oral Roberts baseball team on the road as Wichita State rallied back for a 7-6 win in extra innings Tuesday night at Eck Stadium.
In the final non-conference game away from home, the Golden Eagles held a three-run advantage in the top of the fourth, but could not hold off the Shockers late in the contest allowing six runs in the final five innings.
Grellner gave ORU the cushion in the fourth putting a hurt on the baseball, sending a two-run home run out of the stadium and added a go-ahead, solo blast in the top of the ninth inning. The Shockers answered back scoring the tying run in the bottom half of the frame before a walk-off single won it in the 10th.
WSU hit a lead-off double in the first extra inning and put runners on the corners with a one-out single. Greyson Jenista evened the season series, as the home team won both meetings, pushing a RBI single back up the middle for the 7-6 decision.
Inside the Box Score
- Grellner tallied the first multi-home run performance of his tenure after hitting six in 61 career outings entering the night and matched his best effort with three RBI. It was the fifth time this year the Golden Eagles have had a hitter hit two home runs in a single game.
- Taylor Varnell settled in after allowing a run in the first inning and threw four innings in his second start of the season. The junior struck out four Shocker batters giving up six hits recording a no decision before Logan Michaels and Grant Glaze pitched scoreless innings from the ORU bullpen.
- Williams launched his Summit League-leading 13th home run of the season in the eighth inning to give the Golden Eagles a two-run cushion, 5-3. The senior scored two runs to match Grellner for the team lead.
- The Golden Eagles scored four unanswered runs in the middle innings for a 4-1 edge and all nine starters registered at least one hit on the road. Trevor McCutchin went 2-for-3 and scored a run, while Cal Hernandez also tallied two hits and a run scored.
- Between Grellner and the Wichita State No. 9 hitter, Travis Young, combined for four home runs and seven RBI going 5-for-8.
The Golden Eagles play their final Summit League home series May 12-14 welcoming Omaha to J.L. Johnson Stadium. The three-game set gets underway Friday night at 6:30 p.m. with $1 hot dogs courtesy of Sodexo.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.