Score: Utah 4 – Oral Roberts 6
Records: Utah (0-2) – ORU (2-0)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (J.L. Johnson Stadium)
TULSA, Okla. – Spencer Henson and Jared Montoya delivered RBI doubles in a four-run seventh inning that propelled the Oral Roberts baseball team to a 6-4, come-from-behind win over Utah Saturday afternoon at J.L. Johnson Stadium.
The Golden Eagles erased a three-run deficit as Henson and Montoya doubled into right and left field, respectively, and Jack Rosenberg and Cal Hernandez added RBIs. ORU had six of its first seven batters reach base safely in the rally, while the only out of the run came with a RBI as it battled back to score four times on four hits.
Quote of the Game
"We had some good at-bats late and hopefully that made up for some of the bad at-bats early in the game. We struggled offensively for about five innings there before we were able to settle in. We finally got our feet underneath us and made a good run there at the end. And I thought that Andrew Pace's at-bat in the eighth inning was important to stretch the lead." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
As Utah started to find some offense in the middle innings, it took a 4-1 lead into the bottom of the seventh. Trevor McCutchin and Riley Keizor started the momentum for ORU with free bases before Henson's RBI double to the wall in right. Rosenberg tallied a RBI groundout and Montoya followed with a RBI double, his first hit as a Golden Eagle, to even the score, 4-4. Hernandez put across the go-ahead run with a single and the bullpen made the margin stand.
Inside the Box Score
- Keizor continued his blistering start for ORU going 2-for-3 with two runs scored and a walk.
- Hernandez was not only effective on offense going 2-for-3, he was even more spectacular on defense, coming up with web gems at third base to keep the Golden Eagles in the ballgame early.
- Andrew Pace added an insurance run in the bottom of the eighth in his first plate appearance as a Golden Eagle, coming up with a pinch-hit, RBI single.
- Rotola put ORU on the board in the fourth for a 1-0 advantage as he reached on an error, moved to second on Hernandez's sacrifice bunt and eventually scored on a wild pitch.
- For the second time in as many games, the bullpen tallied a victory as Rogen followed up Grant Townsend's effort Friday with his first win. Harrison Smith allowed one base runner in a scoreless eighth inning and Stout finished off the Utes with a perfect ninth.
- Preseason All-American Miguel Ausua started and went six innings for ORU allowing three earned runs on five hits with four strikeouts.
- With the victory, Head Coach Ryan Folmar evened his record against teams from Power Five conferences at 25-25, including an 11-3 mark in home games.
The Golden Eagles close their opening series with the Utes Sunday morning as the finale is slated for first pitch at 11 a.m. at J.L. Johnson Stadium. Live coverage will be available on the ORU Sports Network with video, audio and stats.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.