Score: Oral Roberts 10 - Oklahoma State 5
Records: ORU (21-14, 11-4 Summit League) – OSU (20-14-1, 9-3 Big 12)
Location: Stillwater, Okla. (Allie P. Reynolds Stadium)
STILLWATER, Okla. – The bottom of the lineup produced in a big way totaling five RBI as the Oral Roberts baseball team came through late in a 10-5 road win at rival Oklahoma State Tuesday night from Allie P. Reynolds Stadium.
From the eight spot in the order, Andrew Pace had a brilliant night totaling three doubles and added insurance runs in the eighth inning. The junior cleared the bases doubling to left center with two outs as ORU posted eight, two-out RBI. That swing pushed the Golden Eagles' margin to 8-4 before two more runs came around in the five-run frame to seal the road victory.
Noah Cummings gave ORU the lead on one swing in the fifth inning as he blasted a three-run home run off the foul pole down the left-field line putting the visitors in front 5-3. Taylor Varnell recovered from three runs in the first two innings to pick up the win by tossing four-straight shutout innings giving the offense a chance to rally.
Quote of the Day
"The way Taylor responded right there was huge after a tough start. He knocked done four more innings and gave us zeroes. That kept us in it and changed the momentum leading to two really big swings. Noah's swing and then Andrew Pace had a great day and another big swing late to give us some separation." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
OSU had the tying run at third base in the bottom of the seventh of a 5-4 ballgame, but Brady Womacks entered from the ORU bullpen and forced a swinging strikeout to end the frame. The fired-up Golden Eagles turned that momentum into a five-run eighth inning and broke the contest open on a two-out rally.
Inside the Box Score
- Cummings came through with his team-leading sixth home run with two runners on and two outs in the fifth inning erasing a one-run deficit. He capped his night only a triple away from the cycle after a single in the first and a lead-off double in the eighth going 3-for-5 with two runs scored and three RBI.
- Pace delivered lead-off doubles in both the fifth and seventh innings before his three-run swing to left center with two outs in the eighth. He closed the evening 3-for-4 at the plate adding two runs scored.
- Harrison Smith tallied two RBI hitting a run-producing ground out that tied the game in the second and tacked on a RBI double in the eighth.
- After allowing solo home runs on back-to-back pitches in the first, ORU starting pitcher Taylor Varnell settled in and found his zone finishing the night with six complete innings. The senior gave up three runs on six hits with five strikeouts and only walked one. He stranded the bases loaded in the fourth and retired the Cowboys in order three times.
- Womacks excelled down the stretch retiring all four batters faced, including two via strikeout.
ORU opens a three-game Summit League series against South Dakota State April 20-21. Game one of a Friday afternoon doubleheader gets started at noon in Council Bluffs, Iowa, on the campus of Iowa Western Community College before the series finale Saturday at 4 p.m. at Millard West High School in Omaha, Nebraska.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.