Game One Score: Oral Roberts 1 - South Dakota State 3
Game Two Score: Oral Roberts 7 - South Dakota State 3
Records: ORU (22-15, 12-5 Summit League) – SDSU (10-21, 8-6 Summit League)
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa (Doc Ross Field)
COUNCIL BLUFFS, Iowa – The Oral Roberts baseball team used quality outings from its starting pitchers to split a Friday doubleheader against South Dakota State falling 3-1 in the opener before rallying in a 7-3 victory at Doc Ross Field on the campus of Iowa Western Community College.
Officially played on a neutral site due to weather, the Golden Eagles held the Jackrabbits to two hits in the opening game, including only one off starter Josh McMinn, but could not come up with the offense needed to extend their winning streak after four-consecutive wins entering the series. ORU loaded the bases in the top of the ninth leading to Nick Roark driving home the only run as he tallied the only multi-hit performance for ORU.
SDSU got out to a 3-0 lead in the second frame of the twin-bill finale capitalizing on a two-run error with the bases full before the Golden Eagles responded by plating the next seven runs. Miguel Ausua gave up one earned run over six innings on his way to his sixth win of the year, while the offense was lifted by four hits from Roark and a three-run home run by Noah Cummings.
Quote of the Day
"I thought we were really good in our situational offense of game two. Cal came up with a big swing on a hit and run in a crucial spot and he was able to get it done. I thought Rotola's bunt late was really good. We moved some guys around and I thought our situational offense was good and hopefully that continues into tomorrow." – Head Coach Ryan Folmar
Game One Turning Point
The Jackrabbits tacked on two runs in the bottom of the eighth pushing their lead to 3-0 and that proved the difference after the Golden Eagles battled back for a run in the ninth. SDSU loaded the bases on a single, walk and intentional walk before scoring on a suicide squeeze bunt with another runner sprinting home on the play adding insurance markers.
Inside the Game One Box Score
- McMinn excelled all afternoon finishing with eight strikeouts over seven complete innings holding the Jackrabbits to one hit. The only run by SDSU off the senior came in the third inning as a one-out walk scored on a double with two outs.
- ORU loaded the bases in the first inning before a strikeout ended the threat and the Golden Eagles went on to post two-out hits in the fourth and fifth frames. Ten runners were stranded on base in the contest, including the potential tying run in scoring position following a last-ditch rally attempt.
Game Two Turning Point
Cummings quickly erased the three-run deficit created by the Jackrabbits in the bottom of the second as the senior launched his Summit League-leading seventh home run of the year. The Alpine, California, native tied the game on one swing crushing a three-run blast with two outs in the top of the third. Smith and Roark led the inning with singles and moved into scoring position on Cal Hernandez's sacrifice bunt.
Inside the Game Two Box Score
- Ausua gave ORU another quality start as the reigning Summit League Pitcher of the Year added to his conference-leading win total with his sixth of the season. He surrendered one earned run, three total, over six innings and fanned five. The senior had to battle early leaving two runners on base in the second and third before settling in down the stretch.
- Roark matched his career high totaling four hits in the game going 4-for-5 with two runs scored and two RBI. He provided the eventual game-winning RBI in the fourth bringing Smith around from first after a two-out walk as he lined a double to the warning track in left.
- Smith provided a spark at the bottom of the order scoring a career-best three runs as he was 2-for-3 at the plate. He lined the first triple of his ORU career to the wall in left center in the seventh.
- Cummings remains the conference leader in home runs with his seventh of the campaign and added three RBI moving to 38 in 37 games.
- Trevor McCutchin, Logan Michaels and Kyler Stout combined to shut down the SDSU attack over the final three innings securing the Friday split. Stout struck out four of the eight batters he faced in two innings of work.
The Golden Eagles and Jackrabbits close the weekend series at Millard North High School for game three Saturday. First pitch is slated for 4 p.m. with live audio coverage on the ORU Sports Network.
For the latest information on ORU Baseball, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.