Score: ORU 80 – MSU 65
Records: ORU (1-0) – MSU (0-1)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team fed off the energy of the student crowd jumping out to an early 9-0 lead and never trailed as the Golden Eagles topped Missouri State 80-65 Friday night in the season opener for both teams.
ORU (1-0) got a complete team performance with three double-digit scorers and five players with at least five rebounds. All 13 active players saw time on the floor and 11 of them scored at least a point, including walk-on Isaac Gilliam's free throw with 0:52 to go in the game.
MSU got 13 points from Chris Kendrix and 10 rebounds from Obediah Church, but dropped their season opener for the first time in Coach Paul Lusk's five seasons.
ORU jumped out to a 9-0 lead and never trailed in the game. The Golden Eagle defense did not allow a point for the first 3:59 of the game.
Quote of the Game
"I want to thank our student body. This is my 21st season and that was the best student section we've ever had and there are a lot of people to thank. I thought our guys fed off them. We played with energy, we played with toughness, we got the loose balls and I thought our defense the first half was great, especially for this early in the season. It was a good win." – Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Jalen Bradley led all scorers with 16 points and dished out a team-high four assists. Albert Owens added 14 points and tied with Brandon Conley and DaQuan Jeffries for a team-high six rebounds. Owens also had three blocks.
Missouri State: Chris Kendrix led the Bears with 13 points while Obediah Church had 10 rebounds and five blocks.
Inside the Box Score
- The two teams tied on the boards with 37 rebounds each. ORU had 11 offensive boards and turned it into 11 second chance points. MSU had nine offensive rebounds but got 13 second chance points.
- ORU used its athleticism to speed the game up and held a 17-2 advantage in fast-break points.
News and Notes
- ORU led from wire-to-wire at home for the fourth time in the last seven games at the Mabee Center.
- The Golden Eagles have now started a season 1-0 for the third year in a row.
- In the all-time series, ORU grabbed a 7-6 lead over MSU. The two teams will face off again this year on December 16 in Springfield, Missouri.
ORU embarks on a four-game road trip, beginning with South Carolina Monday (Nov. 16) before heading up to Virginia for three games as part of the Men Against Breast Cancer Classic.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.