Score: New Mexico 91 – Oral Roberts 75
Records: UNM (5-1) – ORU (6-2)
Location: WisePies Arena AKA The Pit - Albuquerque, N.M.
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. – Down 28 at one point, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team mounted a furious rally and whittled the deficit down to eight but could not complete the comeback Tuesday night at The Pit as the Golden Eagles fell to New Mexico 91-75.
Cullen Neal was 10-20 for 29 points to lead the Lobos and added a career best seven assists. Tim Williams was 10-15 from the field en route to 23 points.
The Lobos had multiple runs in the first half, but a 14-2 spurt put New Mexico up 24-9 as the home team pulled away early and never trailed again.
Quote of the Game
"We dug ourselves a big hole and did some things that I haven't seen us do all season. I told them at halftime that it was a different team than I had seen in the first seven games of the season. They came back and put us in position to really get back in the game with the lead down to eight points, but we used up so much energy trying to get back in the game that our guys got fatigued and started giving up easy baskets. I was happy that our guys responded, but I'm disappointed in how we played." – Coach Scott Sutton.
Oral Roberts: Emegano topped the 20 point mark for the 25th time in his career to lead the offense with 25 points. Conley's 12 boards led the rebounding effort and Aaron Anderson dished out five assists.
New Mexico: Neal led the Lobos in scoring (29) and assists (7), while Williams earned the double-double with 23 points and 12 rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- New Mexico, who entered the game shooting just 32 percent from 3-point range, hit 8-11 (72 percent) in the first half to open up the 52-27 lead.
- ORU used a 12-0 run and continued to inch closer, getting the lead all the way down to eight points with 8:34 to play in the game.
- ORU out-rebounded the Lobos 38-37 in the game, the first time in four games this year in which ORU has lost a game when winning the battle on the boards.
- After struggling to find their stroke in the first half, shooting just 31 percent (10-32) from the field, ORU improved drastically hitting nearly 49 percent (17-35) in the second half.
- New Mexico held a slight edge, 36-34, in points in the paint, while ORU led the way in second-chance points, 14-7.
News and Notes
- Emegano extended his streak to seven straight games with at least 20 points, topping 20 points for the 25th time in his ORU career.
- Conley notched his first career double-double, setting a career high in rebounds.
- ORU is now 0-2 when shooting fewer free throws after the Lobos got to the line 22 times to ORU's 19 attempts.
ORU will be back in Tulsa Saturday, December 5, for the PSO Mayor's Cup game at the University of Tulsa's Reynolds Center.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.