Score: Oral Roberts 66 – North Dakota State 65
Records: ORU (9-9, 1-3) – NDSU (11-6, 1-2)
Location: Mabee Center (Tulsa, Okla.)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team got back in the win column Saturday with a 66-65 win over North Dakota State inside the Mabee Center.
ORU, led by Obi Emegano (13) and Albert Owens (13) had five players score at least 10 points in the game. Aaron Anderson and Brandon Conley each grabbed six rebounds, while Aaron Young and Emegano each had three assists.
NDSU got a double-double from Dexter Werner, who had 19 points and 10 rebounds, and had a shot at a 25-foot game-winner that came up short.
ORU mounted a 12-0 early in the second half to take a 10-point lead with 16:48 to play. Although NDSU had chances to re-take the lead, ORU never gave it up.
Quote of the Game
"We made it a lot harder on ourselves than it should have been. Give North Dakota State credit, they battled. This team needed a win. I've been saying for a week I really thought all it would take was a win to get all those negative thoughts about losing out of our heads. Now I think we can get back to playing like I know we can play." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
Oral Roberts: Emegano and Owens each scored 13 points, while Anderson and Conley grabbed six boards apiece.
NDSU: Werner led the way in points (19) and rebounds (10), with seven offensive boards.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 45 percent (26-57) for the game and 31 percent (5-16) from 3-point range.
- NDSU hit 42 percent (25-59) from the field and made 28 percent (5-18) from long range.
- ORU shot its second worst percentage from the free throw line at 56 percent (9-16). The Golden Eagles were just 8-15 (53 percent) in a win over John Brown.
- After getting out-rebounded by seven in the first half, ORU dominated the boards to start the second half and out-rebounded NDSU 9-2 during the 12-0 spurt.
- The Bison held a 36-28 advantage in points in the paint and a 20-14 lead in second-chance points.
News and Notes
- After missing the last two games, Emegano returned to the lineup for the Golden Eagles Saturday.
- Saturday marked the third time this season ORU has climbed out of a halftime hole.
- ORU is now 4-1 this season in games decided by five points or less.
- ORU had five double-figure scorers for the second time this season.
- Emegano and Owens led the way with 13 points apiece, the lowest total by a leading scorer this season.
- The ORU defense was strong Saturday and the 65 points given up were the fewest to a Division I school since beating James Madison 74-64 November 21.
ORU will head back on the road next weekend, facing IUPUI (Jan. 14) and Western Illinois (Jan. 16) before returning home for three straight Summit League games.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.