Score: Oral Roberts 90 – South Dakota 80
Records: ORU (6-14, 2-4) – USD (13-9, 4-3)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team used a 16-0 run in the second half to pull away from South Dakota 90-80 Wednesday night at the Mabee Center.
Aaron Anderson had half of the points in the run and finished with a career high 20 points and 10 rebounds to earn his first career double-double. Albert Owens scored 21 points to lead the way while all nine Golden Eagles who played scored points.
ORU out-rebounded South Dakota 41-34, the second most rebounds for the Golden Eagles this season and the most against a Division I opponent.
South Dakota got 24 points from Matt Mooney and six rebounds from Tyler Hagedorn to lead the Coyote attack.
Quote of the Game
"It was a good win. I'm proud of our guys how they responded in the second half, especially our guards. We challenged our three senior guards and they came out and were great in the second half and were great and were the biggest difference in the game. That's obviously the best I've seen Aaron (Anderson) play with the double-double. Aaron (Young) gave us a spark off the bench and I thought Jalen made two huge plays with the 3-pointer in the corner and then him getting to the loose ball and calling timeout kind of sealed the game for us." – Head Coach Scott Sutton
A late 8-2 Coyote run made it a 6-point game with 50 seconds to play, but Aaron Young hit a pair of free throws and Anderson made a layup off a long pass from Martin to seal the victory with 27 seconds to play.
Oral Roberts: Owens scored 21 points while Anderson notched the double-double with 20 points and 10 rebounds to go along with his team-high four assists.
South Dakota: Mooney led the offense with 24 points while Hagedorn grabbed six rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 57 percent (16-28) from the field and 94 percent (15-16) from the free throw line in the second half. ORU hit 48 percent (29-60) from the field and 80 percent (24-30) from the free throw line for the game.
- USD connected on 50 percent (14-28) of its shots in the first half but cooled to shoot just 48 percent (29-60) for the game. The Coyotes were 17-29 (58 percent) from the free throw line and hit just five 3-pointers, four of which came in the second half.
News and Notes
- ORU scored 52 points in the second half of the game, matching the 52 scored in the second stanza against Fort Wayne for the most in a half this season.
-Anderson became the first Golden Eagle not named Emmanuel Nzekwesi to earn a double-double this season. Nzekwesi has three double-doubles this year.
- All nine Golden Eagles scored at least two points in the game.
- Wednesday marked the first time this season in which ORU has trailed at halftime (41-38) but come back to win the game.
- In eight home games this year, ORU is 6-2 and has led for more than 25 minutes in all six wins after leading for 29:01 on Wednesday.
- With 21 points, Owens continued to hit his average (20.8) for points per game in Summit League play, and scored 20 or more for the fifth straight game.
ORU will finish out the four game homestand Saturday as the Golden Eagles host Omaha for a 3 p.m. contest.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.