Score: South Dakota 86 – Oral Roberts 72
Records: USD (19-10, 10-4) – ORU (8-21, 4-11)
Location: Vermillion, S.D.
VERMILLION, S.D. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team made a late 7-0 run to cut a 14-point deficit to just seven with five minutes to play, but was unable to complete the comeback in an 86-72 loss at South Dakota Saturday.
Emmanuel Nzekwesi and Albert Owens each scored 17 points to lead the Golden Eagle offense, while Kris Martin scored 12—10 of which came in the second half—and Jalen Bradley chipped in 11. Nzekwesi also led ORU with eight rebounds and four assists.
South Dakota got double figures from five different players, all of whom had at least 12 but no one scored more than 14. Trey Dickerson dished out five assists and Matt Mooney and Tyler Peterson each grabbed six rebounds.
Martin scored six straight ORU points for the Golden Eagles and ORU trailed 80-72 with two minutes left, but a Trey Burch-Manning layup pushed it back to a 10-point game and ORU would not score again.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi tied Owens for the team lead in points (17), and led ORU in rebounding (8) and assists (4).
South Dakota: Tyler Peterson scored 14 points off the bench and tied Matt Mooney for the team lead in rebounds (6).
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 44 percent (25-56) from the field and 31 percent (4-13) from 3-point range, with three of those makes coming late in the second half.
- The Golden Eagles shot 66 percent (18-27) from the free throw line in the contest.
- USD connected on 51 percent (28-55) from the field and 38 percent (8-21) from 3-point range) The Coyotes were 22-27 (82 percent) from the free throw line.
- South Dakota held a 36-30 rebounding advantage, despite the Golden Eagles holding a slight 18-17 edge on the boards at halftime.
News and Notes
- Nzekwesi reached double figures for the second game in a row and the seventh time in the last 10 contests.
- Nzekwesi's 17 points marks his third most this season and the most since scoring a season-high 21 against Michigan State December 3. Saturday also marked the third time this season in which Nzekwesi has led the team in scoring. He led the team in rebounding for the 12th time in his freshman season.
- After cutting it to an eight point game with less than two minutes to play, ORU went scoreless for the final 1:57 of the contest.
- Owens scored more than 10 points for the fifth straight game and the 23rd time this season.
ORU's regular season finishes up Wednesday at 7 p.m. as the Golden Eagles host North Dakota State for senior night.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store.