Score: UNLV 92 – Oral Roberts 66
Record: UNLV (7-2) – ORU (2-8)
Location: Las Vegas, Nev. (MGM Grand Garden Arena)
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – UNLV caught fire from long range, Tuesday and the Oral Roberts men's basketball team was unable to keep pace with the Runnin' Rebels as the Golden Eagles fell 92-66 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.
UNLV was shooting just 35 percent from 3-point range on the season but hit 53 percent (9-17) on Tuesday.
Javan White proved to be a force for the Golden Eagles with his third straight double-double and a new career high 24 points to go with his 12 rebounds. Emmanuel Nzekwesi and Sam Kearns each chipped in 10 points as well with Kearns adding five assists.
UNLV out-rebounded ORU 47-35 and got 19 points from Sakur Juiston to lead a quartet of Rebels who reached double figures.
ORU strung together six straight points to get within 12 at 51-39 with 14:39 to play in the game, but UNLV's next four baskets were all 3-pointers to help them stay out in front.
Oral Roberts: White was the leader in scoring (24 points) and rebounding (12 rebounds), while Kearns dished out five assists.
UNLV: Juiston scored 19 points on a 9-12 shooting effort, while Kris Clyburn grabbed a team high eight rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 35 percent (26-74) from the field and 29 percent (4-14) from 3-point range to go along with a 63 percent (10-16) effort from the free throw line.
- UNLV shot 54 percent (32-59) from the field and 53 percent (9-17) from 3-point range. The Rebels connected on 66 percent (19-29) from the free throw line.
- UNLV led the rebounding battle 47-35, although ORU led the offensive boards 17-12 and second chance points 18-14.
- ORU struggled with foul trouble in the game with six players with at least three fouls against them.
News and Notes
- White now has recorded a double-double in three straight contests. He became the second Golden Eagle this season to record at least 20 points and 10 rebounds in a game after Owens had 33 points and 10 rebounds against Oakland.
- White reached the 20-point mark for the first time in his career on Tuesday.
- The Golden Eagles did not shoot the long ball well, but extended their 3-point streak to 159 straight games.
- ORU is now 0-2 all-time against the Rebels with the first contest coming in 1972.
ORU is home for the next two games, hosting Southern Nazarene Friday night at 7 p.m. and then Missouri State Sunday afternoon at 3 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).