Score: Oral Roberts 83 – Florida Gulf Coast 64
Record: ORU (4-9) – FGCU (7-5)
Location: Fort Myers, Fla. (Alico Arena)
FORT MYERS, Fla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team made a statement on the road Saturday night as the Golden Eagles pulled away from No. 12 (MM) Florida Gulf Coast to win 83-64 and earn its second straight victory over a ranked mid-major program.
ORU held FGCU to less than 70 points for the first time this season, snapping a streak of 11-straight games to start the year, the second longest streak in school history. The Golden Eagles dominated the boards 40-20 against a team that is 25th in the nation in rebounding and 34th in rebounding margin.
The Golden Eagles got career scoring performances from Javan White (25) and Emmanuel Nzekwesi (24), with the duo each notching a double-double with 11 rebounds apiece. The duo combined for 22 rebounds, out-rebounding the entire FGCU team (20).
Brandon Goodwin led the FGCU offense with 20 points to lead a trio of double figure scorers. In his first game with the Eagles, Michael Gilmore added 10 points and a team high four rebounds.
ORU's lead was trimmed to four (55-51) with 13:02 to play before ORU mounted an 8-0 run. The Golden Eagles withstood a couple more FGCU spurts before pulling away for good at the five minute mark with a 7-0 run to push it from an eight point game to a 15 point advantage.
Oral Roberts: White led ORU in scoring with 25 points, while matching Nzekwesi with 11 rebounds each. Kearns had seven assists and Nzekwesi and Miller each recorded three steals.
Florida Gulf Coast: Goodwin hit three 3-pointers and scored 20 points to lead FGCU. Zach Johnson had eight assists and three steals. Gilmore was the leading rebounder with four.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU out-rebounded FGCU 40-20, including 17 offensive rebounds. The dominance around the basket extended to the scoring column as ORU out-scored FGCU 58-22 in the paint and 19-9 in second chance points.
- ORU also held a decisive advantage in points off turnovers, 24-12.
- The Golden Eagles shot 54 percent (34-63) from the field, despite going 4-14 (29 percent) from 3-point range. ORU shot 85 percent (11-13) from the free throw line.
- FGCU shot 44 percent (24-54) from the field and 44 percent (11-25) from 3-point range. The Eagles were 5-8 (62 percent) from the free throw line.
News and Notes
- With his block in the first half, Owens moved into a tie with Rocky Walls (1994-98) for sixth all-time at ORU with 127 career blocks.
- White and Nzekwesi each recorded a double-double, marking the first time in which ORU had two double-doubles in the same game since 2013 when Korey Billbury (17/13) and Damen Bell-Holter (10/13) did so at Lamar.
- ORU's +20 on the boards was the largest rebounding margin of the season and the largest since out-rebounding John Brown by 22 (60-38) on December 9, 2015.
- ORU matched its season high with 18 assists in the game.
- In addition to Nzekwesi and White's career scoring efforts, Chris Miller recorded a career best three steals.
ORU will be on the road for two games next week before a break for Christmas. The Golden Eagles will be at Arkansas December 19 and at Minnesota December 21.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).