Score: Oral Roberts 93 – East Texas Baptist 66
Record: ORU (8-15) – ETBU (14-3)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team dominated the glass Tuesday night, with three Golden Eagles earning a double-double as ORU pulled away for a 93-66 win over East Texas Baptist at the Mabee Center.
Albert Owens nearly earned the double-double in the first half alone with 14 points and nine rebounds at the break. Owens finished the job in the second to finish with 22 points and 13 rebounds, game highs in both categories and a new career high rebounding total. Jontray Harris also recorded a career high in rebounds with 12 boards, adding 10 points for his first career double-double. Emmanuel Nzekwesi dropped in 12 points and 11 rebounds to round out the trio. Harris also had a career best five assists for the Golden Eagles.
ETBU got 15 points from Darrice Whitley and 12 points from Westin Riddick.
ORU out-rebounded the Tigers 60-35, the largest rebounding margin of the season, and the most rebounds since grabbing 60 against John Brown December 9, 2015.
Up 59-56 with 11:26 to play, ORU used a 13-0 run, and extended it to a 34-6 run to get the game inside the final minute with ORU up 31. Richard Johnson finished the game with a pair of layups for ETBU to give the final 27 point margin.
Oral Roberts: Owens led ORU in points (22), rebounds (13) and blocks (four). Harris was the leading assist man with a career best five helpers, while Nzekwesi recorded three of ORU's seven steals.
ETBU: Whitley led the Tigers with 15 points and six rebounds, while Landin Brown had four assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 47 percent (36-76) for the game and 33 percent (8-24) from 3-point range. The Golden Eagles shot 18 free throws and made 13 of them (72 percent).
- ETBU shot 35 percent (26-73) from the field and 33 percent (10-30) from 3-point range, despite going 9-19 from long range in the first half. The Tigers made just 4-10 from the free throw line.
- ORU led points in the paint 54-30, second chance points 31-20 and bench points 54-18, with two of ORU's double-doubles coming off the bench.
News and Notes
- Owens moved to 1,222 career points and 508 career rebounds, making him the 16th player in ORU history to have at least 1,000 career points and 500 career rebounds.
- ORU's 60 rebounds are tied for the seventh most on record at ORU, and the most since grabbing 60 against John Brown December 9, 2015.
- The +25 on the boards was the largest rebounding advantage for ORU since out-rebounding Northwestern Oklahoma State 55-29 (+26) November 16, 2009.
- ORU is now 7-1 this season when leading at halftime. ORU took a 44-39 lead into the break.
The Golden Eagles will stay home Saturday to face Nebraska Christian in a 4 p.m. tip off at the Mabee Center before returning to the road to continue Summit League play.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).