Score: South Dakota State 85 – Oral Roberts 75
Record: SDSU (22-6, 10-1) – ORU (10-18, 4-7)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. –After trailing 8-0 early, the Oral Roberts men's basketball team mounted a late comeback but couldn't overcome the early deficit, falling 85-75 Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
Down by as many as 24 in the second half, ORU cut it to a 10 point deficit with an 8-0 run in the last five minutes of the game.
The Golden Eagles were led offensively by Austin Ruder and Sam Kearns, who each scored 14 points, while Emmanuel Nzekwesi and Jontray Harris each chipped in 11 points. Javan White led the rebounding effort with nine rebounds, including five offensive boards, but the Golden Eagles were out-rebounded 39-34.
Mike Daum led the Jackrabbits with 27 points and 14 rebounds, while Skyler Flatten had six assists for SDSU. The Jackrabbits shot 52 percent for the game, including 10 3-pointers, nine of which came in the first half.
Quote of the Game
"We felt good and thought we had some momentum coming into today. Denver got off to an 11-0 start here two Saturday's ago and South Dakota State got off to an 8-0 start today. We have to do a better job of starting better than we did and making sure that we are dialed in to what we do best. I thought we did that better in the second half." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
SDSU led nearly from wire-to-wire, jumping out to an 8-0 lead in the first 2:02 of the game.
Oral Roberts: Ruder and Kearns led the offense with 14 points, while White was ORU's leading rebounder with nine boards and leading shot blocker with three. Ruder also dished out a career best six assists.
South Dakota State: Daum led SDSU in scoring (27 points) and rebounding (14 rebounds).
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 50 percent in the second half and 42 percent (30-70) for the game, including an 8-23 mark from 3-point range.
- SDSU shot 52 percent (29-55) from the field, including a 57 percent mark in the second half. The Jackrabbits connected on 9-16 from 3-point range in the first half and finished 10-22 for the game.
- South Dakota State shot 17-21 from the free throw line while ORU hit 7-12 from the charity stripe.
- ORU out-scored SDSU 40-34 in the paint, 13-7 in second chance points and 16-6 off turnovers. The Golden Eagle bench out-scored the Jackrabbits 22-9.
News and Notes
- ORU is now 1-12 this season when getting out-rebounded by the opponent.
- Ruder led ORU in assists for the third time this season with a career best six helpers. It was the fourth time this season, and second game in a row, in which Ruder has been the team's leading scorer.
- Kearns extended his streak of games with a made 3-pointer to 27 straight games, hitting four triples in the game.
- ORU is 2-15 this season when the opponent makes more free throws. SDSU was plus-10 in made free throws on Saturday.
- White set a new career high with three blocked shots.
- Jontray Harris set a new career high with three steals.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).