Score: Denver 66 – Oral Roberts 65
Record: DU (13-14, 7-6) – ORU (10-20, 4-9)
Location: Denver, Colo. (Magness Arena)
DENVER, Colo. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team battled until the end, nearly erasing what was as much as a nine point deficit, but could not overcome Denver as the Golden Eagles fell 66-65 Sunday afternoon at Magness Arena.
Down four with 11 seconds to play, Javan White drilled a 3-pointer and after a pair of missed free throws, ORU ended up with a half-court attempt to win the game that was just off to the right.
White was 8-12 from the field and finished with a game high 19 points, scoring 14 points in the second half. Albert Owens dominated early with 11 first half points and finished with 17 points. Emmanuel Nzekwesi had 12 points and seven rebounds. Austin Ruder led ORU in assists (four) and steals (two).
Joe Rosga led Denver in scoring with 13 points, while Christian Mackey, Daniel Amigo and Jake Holtzmann each scored 10. Rosga tallied the double-double with 10 rebounds.
Jontray Harris got an offensive rebound and was fouled on the put-back attempt, making both free throws to tie the game at 56-56. Krafka came down and hit a 3-pointer to break the tie, and although ORU would cut it to one on four different occasions in the final three minutes, the Golden Eagles could never catch back up.
Oral Roberts: White led the scoring for ORU with 19 points, while Nzekwesi grabbed a team best seven rebounds. Austin Ruder had four assists and Owens had both of the blocked shots for ORU.
Denver: Rosga led Denver in scoring (13) and rebounding (10), while Jake Pemberton dished out 10 assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU finished the game shooting 41 percent (23-55) but was just 4-19 (21 percent) from 3-point range. ORU hit 15 of 20 free throw attempts and out-rebounded Denver by one, 35-34.
- Denver shot 42.3 percent (22-52) from the field and 7-22 (31 percent) from 3-point range. The Pioneers hit 15-23 from the free throw line, including two misses at the end that allowed ORU the chance to win the game.
- ORU led 32-18 in points in the paint and 12-1 in second chance points.
- Denver was credited with 21 assists and 12 turnovers, while ORU had eight helpers and 10 turnovers.
News and Notes
- Sam Kearns drained a 3-pointer to give ORU an early lead and extended his streak to 29 straight games with a made 3-pointer.
- After getting out-rebounded by seven (22-15) in the first half, ORU came back and won the rebounding battle for the day, 35-34, giving the Golden Eagles the chance to steal a win on the road.
- Five of the last seven meetings against Denver have been decided by four points or less. Denver has won three of the five.
- White's 19 points were the most since he scored a career high 25 at Florida Gulf Coast December 16.
ORU finishes the regular season at Omaha Thursday, February 22, before heading to the Summit League Tournament March 3-6 in Sioux Falls, S.D.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).