Score: Oakland 87 – Oral Roberts 76
Record: OU (3-3) – ORU (2-6)
Location: Rochester, Mich. (Athletics Center O'rena)
ROCHESTER, Mich. – The Oral Roberts men's basketball team closed a 13-point deficit to seven and had possession of the ball, but couldn't finish the comeback as Oakland defeated the Golden Eagles 87-76, Saturday night at the O'rena as part of the Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge.
Emmanuel Nzekwesi finished the game 7-13 from the field and led ORU with 18 points and 10 rebounds for the double-double. Nzekwesi and Kaelen Malone each tied for team high honors in steals with three, while Carlos Jürgens dished out five assists.
Oakland used a two-headed monster to overcome the Golden Eagles, getting 31 points from Jaevin Cumberland, who was perfect 15-15 from the free throw line, and 28 points from Xavier Hill-Mais.
Quote of the Game
"The effort was definitely better than what it was yesterday. I really thought guys fought. We found ourselves in a situation where we really had to up our game to take advantage of our opportunities, and I thought Chris Miller and Emmanuel Nzekwesi did a great job." – Head Coach Paul Mills
A five point game with 11:58 to play, Oakland used a quick 7-1 spurt to push the lead to double figures. Although ORU would get it down to as few as seven late in the game, the Golden Eagles were unable to gain any more ground.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi had 18 points, 10 rebounds, three steals and a block to either lead ORU, or tie for the team lead, in each category. Jürgens had a team-best five assists, while Malone also had three steals.
Oakland: Cumberland scored 31 points for Oakland, while Brad Brechting grabbed six rebounds and Jordan Nobles had seven assists.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 49 percent (29-59) from the field, 35 percent (7-20) from 3-point range and 73 percent (11-15) from the free throw line.
- Oakland shot 49 percent (26-53) from the field, 40 percent (9-22) from 3-point range and 93 percent (26-28) from the free throw line.
- Cumberland (15-15) went to the line as many times as ORU did as a team, and was perfect from the charity stripe in the game.
- ORU held a 32-27 rebounding advantage, and a 24-10 lead in second chance points. ORU also dominated in the paint, out-scoring Oakland 40-26.
News and Notes
- Nzekwesi earned his second, and the team's third, double-double of the season. Nzekwesi also had 24 points and 12 rebounds against Southwestern.
- ORU's 49 percent from the field is the second highest of the seaso and the best percentage against a Division I opponent, having shot 58 percent against Ecclesia.
- ORU out-rebounded its opponent for the fourth time this year, and Saturday marked the second time in which ORU has out-rebounded a Division I foe.
The Golden Eagles will finish the Men Against Breast Cancer Oakland Hoops Challenge against James Madison Sunday at 11 a.m. (CT).
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).