Score: Purdue Fort Wayne 94 – Oral Roberts 69
Record: PFW (12-7, 4-0) – ORU (7-12, 3-1)
Location: Fort Wayne, Ind. (Memorial Coliseum)
FORT WAYNE, Ind. – A 16-0 run late in the first half was too much for the Oral Roberts men's basketball team to overcome against Purdue Fort Wayne as the Mastodons beat the Golden Eagles 94-69 Thursday evening.
Purdue Fort Wayne entered the game leading the nation in made 3-pointers, hit 15 triples in the contest and used four shots from long range to aid in the big run that broke the game open.
Kason Harrell scored 22 points and also had six assists to lead the Mastodons in both categories. John Konchar had 21 points and a team high eight rebounds.
ORU out-rebounded the 'Dons 36-21, but the Golden Eagles had 18 turnovers that turned into 24 points for Purdue Fort Wayne.
Quote of the Game
"We couldn't take care of the basketball and we were unable to handle the double-team. We had 18 turnovers and any time you give the ball to the other team it is not going to work out well. Our inability to handle the double team was totally my fault and we'll have to get better because I'm sure we will see double teams a lot more." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
A 16-0 run near the end of the first half broke the game open and gave the Mastodons the double-digit lead at the break.
Oral Roberts: Nzekwesi led ORU in scoring (20 points) and rebounding (12 rebounds), while Malone led the team in assists with six. Carlos Jürgens had two of the team's four steals.
Purdue Fort Wayne: Harrel led the scoring with 22 points and had a team high six rebounds. Konchar grabbed eight rebounds and Dylan Carl had five steals.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 47 percent (28-59) from the field, 36 percent (8-22) from 3-point range and 45 percent (5-11) from the free throw line.
- The Mastodons shot 52 percent (34-65) from the field, 50 percent (15-30) from 3-point range and 78 percent (11-14) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded the 'Dons 36-28, and led 17-15 in second chance points. ORU also led the scoring inside with a 38-34 edge in points in the paint.
- Purdue Fort Wayne out-scored ORU 24-10 in points off turnovers thanks to 15 Mastodon steals on 18 ORU turnovers, and held a 17-7 advantage in fast break points.
News and Notes
- With a monster first half that included 18 points and 11 rebounds, Nzekwesi topped the 1,000-point mark and became the 17th player in ORU history to record 1,000 points and 500 rebounds in a career.
- The reigning Summit League Player of the Week, Nzekwesi secured his sixth double-double of the season and the 18th of his career in the first half of play.
- ORU shot worse than 50 percent (5-11, 45.5 percent) from the free throw line for the second time this year and the first time since hitting 3-8 (37 percent) in a road win at Richmond.
- ORU has shot 47 percent or better from the field in six of the last seven games.
- The Golden Eagles are 3-1 to start Summit League play for the second year in a row.
ORU remains on the road at preseason Summit League favorite South Dakota State Saturday in Brookings, South Dakota.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).