Score: North Dakota State 67 – Oral Roberts 57
Record: NDSU (10-12, 4-4), ORU (8-15, 4-4)
Location: Tulsa, Okla. (Mabee Center)
TULSA, Okla. – A tight game throughout with seven ties and eight lead changes, it was North Dakota State who had a late 15-5 run to top Oral Roberts 67-57 in men's basketball action Saturday night at the Mabee Center.
ORU lost for just the second time this season when giving up fewer than 70 points, having also fallen 69-59 against Tulsa.
Kevin Obanor continued to be dominant with 21 points and eight rebounds, while Sam Kearns returned from injury to score 13 points and added three assists. DeShang Weaver added 12 points and Kerwin Smith grabbed nine rebounds.
Vinnie Shahid scored 23 points for NDSU with a 6-9 mark from 3-point range. Rocky Kreuser and Tyson Ward each grabbed six rebounds to lead the Bison rebounding effort.
Quote of the Game
"We did a really good job of guarding the arc in the first half, but in the second half they had five shooters on the court and kept us spread out. To their credit, they made shots. We need to do a better job of getting our bigs some rest, but unfortunately they were the guys making plays for us." – ORU Head Coach Paul Mills
After an Obanor layup with 5:02 to play tied the game at 52-52, NSDU out-scored ORU 15-5 down the stretch.
Oral Roberts: Obanor led the ORU scoring with 21 points while Smith grabbed a team-high nine rebounds.
North Dakota State: Shahid provided the offense for the Bison with 23 points while Kreuser and Ward each had six rebounds.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 38 percent (21-55) from the field and 28 percent (7-25) from 3-point range, while going 8-11 (72 percent) from the free throw line.
- NDSU shot 39 percent (21-54) from the field, 36 percent (11-30) from 3-point range and 14-24 (58 percent) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded NDSU 40-34 and held a 9-4 advantage in second chance points. NDSU out-scored ORU 13-4 on the fast break and 16-11 in points off turnovers, while ORU had the advantage inside with a 26-19 advantage in points in the paint.
News and Notes
- Saturday marked the sixth time this season in which ORU has held a team under 70 points. ORU is now 4-2 in those games.
- Over the final four minutes of the first half and first five minutes of the second half, Obanor scored all 12 of ORU's points, but kept the Golden Eagles in the game with ORU down just 34-32 after that stretch.
- Weaver finished with five rebounds, one off his season high.
- Francis Lācis matched his season best with two assists in the game.
- Smith blocked three of ORU's five shots, a new season best for the senior.
- ORU is now 12-12 all-time against North Dakota State.
- Kearns returned to the court after missing four games with an injury.
ORU will remain at home for the next three games as the Golden Eagles start the second half of Summit League play Thursday against preseason favorite South Dakota State.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).