Score: North Dakota 85 – Oral Roberts 73
Record: UND (10-16, 4-9) – ORU (10-19, 6-8)
Location: Grand Forks, N.D. (Betty Engelstad Sioux Center)
GRAND FORKS, N.D. – A hot shooting second half went the way of North Dakota as the Fighting Hawks topped Oral Roberts 85-73, Saturday night.
ORU had five players score in double figures, including a double-double from Kevin Obanor who had 16 points and 10 rebounds to lead ORU in both categories. DeShang Weaver scored 15 points, Aidan Saunders added 13 and Kerwin Smith and Emir Ahmedic each chipped in 10 points. Sam Kearns had five assists and two steals to lead ORU in both categories.
UND had three 20-point scorers, led by Marlon Stewart's 23. Aanen Moody scored 21, all from 3-point range, and Cortez Seales scored 20. Billy Brown led the Hawks with eight rebounds.
Quote of the Game
"In hindsight we shouldn't have switched out of the zone. We were in a one point deficit at the half but I didn't think we played very well. We switched it up because their shooters were 6-9 from three, and they just isolated us in the second half and went to twos. So if I had a do-over I'd play the second half in zone, but they were really scorching us from the three point line so we made the change and unfortunately it hurt us." – ORU Coach Paul Mills
Down just five after an Obanor 3-pointer, a pair of 3-pointers marked an 8-2 spurt from UND and they extended it to an 18-6 run to take a 17-point lead with 7:58 to play.
Oral Roberts: Obanor led ORU in scoring (16) and rebounding (10), while Kearns led in assists (five) and steals (two).
North Dakota: Stewart led UND with 23 points while Brown had eight assists. Seales and Filip Rebraca led the way with five assists each.
Inside the Box Score
- ORU shot 46 percent (28-60) from the field, 41 percent (7-17) from 3-point range and 71 percent (10-14) from the free throw line.
- UND shot 47 percent (29-61) from the field, 50 percent (13-26) from 3-point range and 82 percent (14-17) from the free throw line.
- ORU out-rebounded UND 38-31, but used it to just a 10-9 edge in second chance points. ORU dominated points in the paint 42-22, but North Dakota cashed in on 13 triples.
- Both teams shot better than 55 percent in the second half. ORU connected on 56 percent while UND hit 59 percent.
News and Notes
- Obanor finished with his fifth double-double of the season, and third in the last four games.
- Kearns now has five or more assists in five of the last six games.
- Obanor scored in double figures for the 17th time this season to lead the team in that category. Weaver recorded his 14th double digit scoring effort, while Saunders had his seventh. Ahmedic and Smith earned their second and third double digit nights, respectively.
- Ahmedic finished one point off his career high with 10 points on Saturday. Smith was two points away from his season high, also scoring 10.
- Saturday was the second-ever meeting against North Dakota as the two teams split the regular season series.
ORU will have a week off before traveling to Macomb, Illinois, to face Western Illinois next Saturday night at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU men's basketball, follow @ORUMBB on Twitter or Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the ORU Athletics Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or the ORU Golden Eagles Live App in iTunes or the Google Play Store. For tickets, visit mabeecenter.com or call 495-7ORU (7678).