Event: 2016 Bob Sitton Invitational / Hosted by ORU and Stephen F. Austin
ORU Team Scores/Place: 292-306-292—890 / 5th
Location: TPC Four Seasons / Dallas, Texas
DALLAS, Texas – The first top-five finish of his career came in a big way as freshman Cody Burrows won the individual title at the 2016 Bob Sitton Invitational. After a brief misstep in round two, the Oral Roberts men's golf team rebounded and matched their opening round score with a 292 Thursday to finish the tournament at 890 (292-306-292), fifth out of 17 teams. Long Beach State led from wire to wire and won by 11 shots at 867 (285-288-294).
News & Notes
- Thursday marked the first career win for Burrows, who has led ORU in four of the six tournaments in his career but had never broken into the top five.
- Burrows buried a 40-foot putt on the final hole of the day to earn the victory and avoid a playoff. His 214 was a career best 54-hole score.
- ORU finished in the top 10 as a team for the fourth time this year and the second tournament in a row.
- Freshman Will Starkey shot a career-best 68 on Thursday, his third round under par in as many tournaments. The 68 is the lowest score by a Golden Eagle this season.
- Austin McCulloch completed his first tournament as a Golden Eagle, tying for 74th overall at 236.
1 – Cody Burrows – 73-71-70—214
T33 – Will Starkey – 81-76-68—225
T40 – Trevor Torgerson – 73-78-76—227
T55 – Blake Brorman – 71-81-79—231
T74 – Ollie Penn – 75-83-78—236
T74 – Austin McCulloch – 75-83-78—236
Complete Team Results
1-Long Beach State-285-288-294-867-+15
2-Stephen F. Austin-287-299-292-878-+26
16-North Dakota State-304-317-307-928-+76
ORU will have a week off before heading to Little Rock, Arkansas, for the Little Rock/First Tee Classic March 28.
For the latest information on ORU golf, follow @ORUAthletics on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.