Event: 3rd Annual Indoor Gorilla Classic hosted by Pittsburg State University
Location: Pittsburg, Kan. / Robert W. Plaster Center
The Golden Eagle women kicked off the meet in dramatic fashion Friday night as Etim broke the meet record in the 200 meters with a time of 24.02 seconds, while fellow freshman Kayvon Stubbs ran a personal best to finish fifth. Cameron Hilliard helped ORU showcase its sprinters placing three runners in the top seven of the 200 meters by finishing in seventh.
Purnell put his name on top of the ORU record book and set the top mark of the triple jump in meet history in his final attempt Saturday at more than 51 feet, breaking the 50-foot mark for the first time in his career.
News & Notes
- Purnell's leap is the best in school history at 51-3.5, breaking Fredrick Brown's record of 51-0.25 set back in 2011 and currently ranks 26th in the NCAA this season. He vaulted to the top of The Summit League performance list in the triple jump and the junior added a sixth-place finish in the long jump with another collegiate-best effort as he gets set for the conference championship.
- Etim also recorded the top time in the preliminary round of the 60 meter dash, running 7.43 seconds, but a false start in the finals derailed her chance at the event title.
- ORU's women pole vaulters posted three of the top seven marks in the invitational pole vault event led by Tiffany Estala's runner-up effort.
- Omega Reese followed her career-best performance in the mile last week at Texas Tech by finishing third Saturday.
- Bryce Choate dropped his personal best in the 800 meters as the junior moved up to second on the performance list for The Summit League at 1:52.76.
Men's Top-Eight Finishers
6th – Jaden Purnell – 7.26m (23-10.0)
2nd – Jaden Purnell – 15.63m (51-3.5)
*ORU and meet record*
Pole Vault Open
5th – Christian Patterson – 4.71m (15-5.5)
Pole Vault Invitational
5th – Tommy Dial – 4.98m (16-4.0)
6th – Matt Owen – 4.88m (16-0.0)
200 Meter Dash
7th – Aobakwe Malau – 21.65
60 Meter Hurdles
5nd – Israel Nelson – 8.09 (prelims) / 8.94 (finals)
400 Meter Dash Seeded
4th – Emmanuel Mwewa – 47.32
400 Meter Dash Unseeded
5th – Freddie Johnson – 48.91
800 Meter Run Seeded
7th – Bryce Choate – 1:52.76
Women's Top-Eight Finishers
6th – Mercy Abire – 5.76m (18-10.75)
7th – Cameron Hilliard – 24.67
Pole Vault Invitational
2nd – Tiffany Estala – 3.98m (13-0.75)
5th – Brittany McDonald – 3.68m (12-0.75)
7th – Makayla Linebarger - 3.68m (12-0.75)
One Mile Run Unseeded
3rd – Omega Reese – 5:12.09
The Golden Eagles have two weeks to recover before heading to Fargo, North Dakota, for the 2018 Summit League Indoor Championship. North Dakota State is set to host the meet at the Shelly Ellig Indoor Track and Field Facility.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.