Event: The Summit League Outdoor Championship
Location: ONEOK Sports Complex / Tulsa, Okla.
Complete Results: Summit League Championship – Final Results
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts track and field teams combined for seven event championships on Saturday, giving the Golden Eagles a total of eight Summit League Champions for the meet, as action concluded from the 2018 Summit League Outdoor Track and Field Championships at the ONEOK Sports Complex.
- Etim's Track MVP award was ORU's first since Tamaira Williams earned the honor in 2016 and her Newcomer of the Championship marked ORU's first since Cornesha Wilkerson in 2010. Abire's Field MVP honor was ORU's first since Rachel Talbert won it in 2010.
- Etim also made history by becoming the first athlete in Summit League history to earn both the Newcomer of the Championship and Track Championship MVP awards.
- Etim's 100m dash time of 11.25 would have smashed the school and Summit League meet record, but was a 3.1 wind index, which is above the allowable 2.0 mark. Etim's previous season best was 11.36 with a 5.8 wind.
- Israel Nelson matched the school record with a 13.89 second time in the 110m hurdles, but the wind was also above the limit for his race at 3.0.
- In a thrilling race from start to finish, the women's 4x400m relay team ran its best time of the season at 3:43.40.
- The ORU women finished third overall with 116 team points, while the ORU men finished fourth with 97 team points. ORU's third place finish was its highest since 2010.
Men's Top Five Finishers
3 – Aobakwe Malau – 10.53
3 – Aobakwe Malau – 21.15
1 – Israel Nelson – 13.89
5 – Christina Ollison – 56.56
3 – Sasha Wells – 14.14
Individual Award Winners
Most Outstanding Performers
Shanice Cannigan – South Dakota
Joe Reagan – South Dakota
Women's Field Co-MVP
Mercy Abire – ORU
Maddy Niles - NDSU
Women's Track MVP
Aniekeme Etim – ORU
Women's Newcomer of the Championship
Aniekeme Etim – ORU
Men's Field MVP
Bryant Courter – South Dakota State
Men's Track MVP
Kyle Burdick – South Dakota State
Men's Newcomer of the Championship
Daniel Clarke – South Dakota State
Women's Coach of the Year
Lucky Huber – South Dakota
Men's Coach of the Year
Don Larson – North Dakota State
Qualifiers will compete in the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds in Sacramento, California, May 24-26.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.