TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts track and field teams will send a number of student-athletes to the NCAA West Preliminary Rounds, it was announced Thursday. The Golden Eagles had eight different student-athletes earn spots at the meet and will compete in a combined nine different events.
- Abire is the highest seeded Golden Eagle at the meet, entering the weekend tied for the fourth best long jump this season at 6.50m.
- Israel Nelson enters the meet as the highest ranked male athlete for ORU, having run the 14th fastest time in the region in the 110m hurdles (13.89).
- Aniekeme Etim, who was The Summit League Outdoor Track Championship MVP and the Newcomer of the Championship, qualified in both the 100m and 200m dash events.
- Abire, The Summit League Outdoor Field Championship MVP, will compete in both the long jump and triple jump.
- Jaden Purnell will represent ORU in both the long jump and triple jump.
2018 NCAA Outdoor West Preliminary Qualifiers (Event Rank)
Men's Long Jump (Thursday, 4:30 p.m. PT)
Jaden Purnell (41)
Women's 100m Dash (Thursday, 6:55 p.m. PT)
Aniekeme Etim (14)
Men's 110m Hurdles (Friday, 4:30 p.m. PT)
Israel Nelson (14)
Women's 100m Hurdles (Friday, 5 p.m. PT)
Sasha Wells (46)
Men's 200m Dash (Friday, 7:30 p.m. PT)
Aobakwe Malau (35)
Women's 200m Dash (Friday, 7:55 p.m. PT)
Aniekeme Etim (22)
Men's Triple Jump (Saturday, 7:30 p.m. PT)
Jaden Purnell (38)
The NCAA West Preliminary Round will begin May 24 in Sacramento, California. A full schedule can be found at NCAA.com.
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.