SIOUX FALLS, S.D. – Oral Roberts sprinter Sasha Wells was chosen as The Summit League's Indoor Track Athlete of the Year in a vote by the league's head coaches for her outstanding performances throughout the indoor track and field season.
Wells, who was the 2019 Summit League Track Championship MVP, became the first Golden Eagle in league history to take home the Women's Indoor Track Athlete of the Year honor. She broke her own school record in the 60-meter hurdles twice during the season, including at the conference championship running 8.41 in the prelims.
North Dakota State's Payton Otterdahl and Bailey Retzlaff along with South Dakota State's Kyle Burdick also were named The Summit League Athletes of the Year. Retzlaff secured the Women's Indoor Field Athlete of the Year honor following a performance at the NCAA Indoor Championships that earned her first-team All-America honors.
Burdick, the 2019 Summit League Track Championship MVP, received the Men's Indoor Track Athlete of the Year award, while Otterdahl claimed the title of Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Year after winning both the shot put and the weight throw at the NCAA Championships.
South Dakota State's Rod DeHaven claimed his second Summit League Men's Indoor Track & Field Coach of the Year honor after helping the Jackrabbits to their first championship title since becoming a member of the league.
North Dakota State's Stevie Keller earned his fifth-straight Summit League Women's Indoor Track & Field Coach of the Year award after guiding the Bison to their 12th-consecutive league title. The North Dakota State women went on to send three athletes to compete at the NCAA Division I Indoor Track & Field Championships.
Sasha Wells, Oral Roberts
Sophomore | Nassau, Bahamas
- Tied the league championship record and broke her own school record in the 60-meter hurdle preliminaries, clocking a time of 8.41
- Won the 60-meter (7.54), the 60-meter hurdles (8.47) and finished third in the 200-meter (24.54), earning all-league honors in all three events
- 2019 Summit League Track Championship MVP after earning 26 team points
Bailey Retzlaff, North Dakota State
Senior | Carrington, N.D.
- Made her first appearance at the NCAA Indoor Championships and earned All-America honors after placing eighth in the shot put
- Became one of five Bison women to earn indoor first-team All-America honors at the Division I level
- Led the league in the shot put and entered nationals ranked 10th
- Became the new league meet record holder in the shot put with a toss of 56-02.50 (17.13m)
- Finished fourth at the league championship in the weight throw with a launch of 68-07.75 (20.92m)
Kyle Burdick, South Dakota State
Senior | Rapid City, S.D.
- Earned his third-career indoor 3,000-meter Summit League title
- Defended his mile title and claimed the 5,000-meter title at the championships
- Clocked a 4:06.06-mile time to break the meet record set back in 1987
- Ran the 5,000-meter in a time of 14:21.45 to break the meet record
- 2019 Summit League Track Championship MVP
- Won seven of eight events he competed in this season
- Led the league in the mile, the 3,000-meter and the 5,000-meter
Payton Otterdahl, North Dakota State
Senior | Rosemount, Minn.
- Won both the shot put and the weight throw at the NCAA Indoor Championships
- Is only the second man in NCAA history to sweep national titles in the indoor throwing events
- Posted four of the top six marks in indoor collegiate history in the shot put, including the collegiate record 71-06.75 (21.81m)
- Was named USTFCCCA National Men's Indoor Field Athlete of the Year
- Earned the title of USTFCCCA Midwest Region Field Athlete of the Year
- Won the Summit League title in both the shot put and the weight throw
- Set a new league championship meet record on his second throw in the prelims of the weight throw with a mark of 77-10.00 (23.72m)
For the latest information on ORU Track and Field, follow the Golden Eagles on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading two mobile apps, ORU Golden Eagles Live and ORU Front Row, available on the App Store and Google Play.