Score: Oral Roberts 72 – Western Illinois 76
Records: Oral Roberts (10-6) (2-1); Western Illinois (13-4) (3-1)
Location: Western Hall – Macomb, Ill.
MACOMB, Ill. – The ORU women's basketball team fell in overtime to Western Illinois 76-72 Saturday evening in Macomb, Illinois.
Western Illinois jumped out to 14-10 lead going in to the first media timeout of the game. Kaylan Mayberry and Lakota Beatty gave ORU six points with a three-point bucket each. The Golden Eagles shot 47 percent and at the end of the first and were tied with Western Illinois 19-19.
In the second quarter, a back and forth scoring battle occurred. Western Illinois closed out the second quarter on an 8-0 run and led ORU 41-34 at halftime. Western Illinois shot 46 percent from the field and scored 22 points in the second. The Golden Eagles shot 29 percent from the field and scored 15 points. Hillary Hurst led ORU in points in the first half with nine. Maria Martianez had seven rebounds at the half.
In the third quarter, ORU cut in to Western Illinois lead and trailed at the end of the quarter 54-48. The Golden Eagles out-scored the Leathernecks in the third 14-13. ORU shot 23 percent from the field in the third, while Western Illinois shot 33 percent.
Lakota Beatty hit a three-point bucket one minute in to the fourth that cut Western Illinois lead down to five. The Golden Eagles trailed by two points with 4:53 remaining in the quarter. Faith Ihim fouled out of the game with 4:30 left. Ihim ended the day with 14 points and seven rebounds. ORU tied the game at 61 with 2:50 left. The Golden Eagle defense stopped Western Illinois' last second shot. The game was tied 63-63 at the end of regulation.
Western Illinois took a five point lead with 46 seconds remaining in the overtime period. Maria Martianez grabbed her second double-double of the season in the overtime period. She finished the day with 18 points and 15 rebounds. The Leathernecks hit free-throws down the stretch and won 76-72 in overtime.
In the fourth quarter, ORU hit back-to-back buckets to tie the game and send the game in to overtime.
Oral Roberts: Maria Martianez had 18 points in today's game along with 15 rebounds. Martianez grabbed her second double-double of the season.
Western Illinois: Emily Clemens and Taylor Higginbotham each had 20 points in the game.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 35.6 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Western Illinois 49-37.
- The Golden Eagles had a 38.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 23 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over 21 times.
- ORU shot 78.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 13 points on the day along with two rebounds, four steals and five assists.
- Faith Ihim scored 14 points and seven rebounds in today's game.
- Lakota Beatty had nine points in the game along with one assist and two rebounds.
- Freshman Hillary Hurst set her career-high in points with 13. Hurst also had two rebounds, two blocks, one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez grabbed her second double-double of the season with 18 points and 15 rebounds. Martianez was three assists shy of a triple-double. She had two steals in the game as well.
- Ashley Beatty had five points and five rebounds on the day.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and 22 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 21 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles head home for a contest against South Dakota on Wednesday, January 11 at 7 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.