Score: Oral Roberts 47 – South Dakota 69
Records: Oral Roberts (10-7) (2-2); South Dakota (15-3) (4-1)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The ORU women's basketball team forced 24 turnovers defensively, but fell to South Dakota 69-47 Wednesday evening at the Mabee Center.
South Dakota jumped out to a 20-6 lead in the first quarter. A tough Coyote defense held the Golden Eagles to 3-12 shooting and forced six turnovers. South Dakota shot 8-12 in the first quarter and 2-4 from the three-point line. The Golden Eagles defense forced five turnovers and grabbed one steal in the first.
In the second quarter, the Golden Eagles cut in to the Coyotes lead down to eight. South Dakota ended the quarter on a 12-2 run and took a 34-16 lead in to halftime. ORU shot 31 percent and was out-scored in the second 14-10. Lakota Beatty hit one three-point bucket in the second. The Golden Eagles limited their turnovers to three, but forced one steal.
ORU opened the second half on a 6-0 run and got the South Dakota lead down to 12 before the first media timeout. South Dakota extended its lead to 21 by the end of the quarter. The Golden Eagles shot 38.5 percent in the third. South Dakota shot 71.4 percent. The ORU defense forced nine turnovers in the third and grabbed three steals.
Hot shooting extended South Dakota's lead to 22 points and a final score of 69-47. ORU's defense grabbed eight steals on the night and forced South Dakota to turn the ball over 24 times throughout the game. South Dakota out-scored ORU by one point in the fourth quarter. South Dakota went 25-43 overall for 58 percent in the game.
In the third quarter, ORU opened the second half with a 6-0 run and decreased South Dakota's lead to 12.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim led the team with 12 points and four rebounds on the night.
South Dakota: Jaycee Bradley, sister of ORU's Jalen Bradley, scored 16 points and grabbed five rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 31.4 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by South Dakota 35-19.
- The Golden Eagles had a 20 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 14 times, but forced the Coyotes to turn the ball over 24 times.
- ORU shot 76.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had nine points on the night along with one steal, one block and one assist.
- Faith Ihim scored 12 points and four rebounds in tonight's game.
- Maria Martianez had 10 points in the game along with four rebounds, two assists and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert had eight points, three rebounds, one assist, one block and one steal.
- Lakota Beatty gathered five points and two rebounds along with one steal in tonight's game.
- Ashley Beatty had three points and two rebounds on the night with two assists and one steal.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and five bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 21 points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will finish the week at the Mabee Center against South Dakota State on Saturday, January 14 at 12:30 p.m. It is game one of a double-header with the ORU men's team facing IUPUI at 3 p.m. This Saturday will also be ORU's annual Hall of Fame weekend.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.