Score: Oral Roberts 62 – Western Illinois 76
Records: Oral Roberts (12-11) (4-6); Western Illinois (17-6) (7-3)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Kaylan Mayberry tied her season high with 21 points as the ORU women's basketball team fell to Western Illinois 76-62 Wednesday evening at the Mabee Center.
ORU jumped out to a 9-2 lead in the first when Rachel Skalnik hit the game's first three-point bucket. Western Illinois came back and took a 14-9 at the end of the first. The Leathernecks shot 42.9 percent in the first, while ORU shot 28.6 percent.
Western Illinois scored 21 points in the second and held ORU to 17 points. The Leathernecks extended their lead to 10 at the end of the quarter, but took a nine point lead in to halftime. Western Illinois shot 43.8 percent in the second and 43.3 percent in the first half. ORU shot 33.3 percent in the second quarter and 31 percent in the first half. The Golden Eagles trailed at the break 35-26.
ORU came out of the locker room after halftime and scored the opening bucket in the second half when Maria Martianez scored on a 12 foot jumper to put the Golden Eagles down by seven. ORU shot 36.8 percent in the third and the defense allowed Western Illinois 18 points. Western Illinois led 53-42 at the end of the quarter.
The Golden Eagles came back and cut Western Illinois' lead to four twice in the fourth quarter. Western Illinois out-scored ORU 23-20 in the quarter. The Leathernecks won by a final score 76-62.
In the fourth quarter, ORU cut Western Illinois lead down to four points twice. The Golden Eagles cut the lead at the 7:28 and the 3:08 marks.
Western Illinois: Olivia Braun scored 22 points and captured nine rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 34.4 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Western Illinois 50-27.
- The Golden Eagles had a 33.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Leathernecks to turn the ball over seven times.
- ORU shot 89.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had 21 points on the night along with three rebounds and one assist.
- Faith Ihim scored six points and grabbed eight rebounds with one assist in tonight's game.
- Maria Martianez had 18 points and seven rebounds in the game along with two blocks and two steals.
- Hillary Hurst scored four points in tonight's game with eight rebounds and one assist.
- Rachel Skalnik scored three points and grabbed four rebounds in tonight's game along with seven assists.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled five points and grabbed four rebounds. She also made one block.
- Ashley Beatty scored three points and grabbed six rebounds on the night. She also had two assists and made one steal.
- Alexa Scott scored two points and grabbed one rebound.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and 11 bench points in tonight's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with nine points off of turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will play their second home game of the week this Saturday, February 4 against IUPUI at 12:30 p.m. inside the Mabee Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.