Score: Oral Roberts 71 – North Dakota State 64
Records: Oral Roberts (15-14) (7-9); North Dakota State (6-23) (4-12)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – The Oral Roberts women's basketball team ran past North Dakota State 71-64 on Senior Day Saturday afternoon at the Mabee Center.
Faith Ihim won the opening tip for the Golden Eagles and Maria Martianez quickly got ORU on the board with a 10-foot jumper. After back and forth play, North Dakota State and ORU were tied 16-16 at the end of the first. North Dakota State shot 50 percent from the field, while the Golden Eagles shot 29 percent. The Golden Eagles forced five NDSU turnovers in the first.
The Golden Eagles opened the second quarter on a 6-0 run before NDSU cut the lead back to four. NDSU continued shooting 50 percent in the second quarter and ended the half shooting 50 percent overall from the field. ORU and NDSU were tied 32-32 at halftime. Each team scored 16 points in the first and second quarters. Faith Ihim led the way for the Golden Eagles with 14 first half points.
Faith Ihim capitalized on the and-1 opportunity in the third which put ORU up 37-35 with eight minutes remaining in the quarter. The Golden Eagles went on an 8-0 run in the third to extend their lead to six with just under five minutes remaining in the third. Maria Martianez secured her fourth double-double of the season in the quarter. The Golden Eagles continued their scoring run and led 57-43 at the end of the third.
The Bison started to chip away at the Golden Eagles' lead in the fourth. NDSU went on an 8-0 run that sparked the Bison in to back and forth play that brought ORU's lead down to six with 1:18 remaining in the game. The Golden Eagles kept their lead and won 71-64. ORU shot 36.7 percent on the day, while North Dakota State shot 49 percent.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 36.7 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU and North Dakota State each gathered 38 rebounds.
- The Golden Eagles had a 45.5 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Bison to turn the ball over 21 times.
- ORU shot 64.7 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry had eight points on the day along with three rebounds with two assists and four steals.
- Faith Ihim recorded 19 points and recorded seven rebounds in the game. Ihim also had one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and 15 rebounds in the game along with three assists and three steals. Martianez recorded her fourth double-double of the season.
- Alexa Scott scored two points and recorded two rebounds in today's game.
- Rachel Skalnik scored five points and grabbed one rebound with one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled two points and grabbed one rebound with one block.
- Ashley Beatty scored two points and recorded two rebounds with two assists and three steals.
- Lakota Beatty scored 14 points on the day with two rebounds, one assist and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert recorded five points and one assist in today's game.
- ORU had 24 points in the paint and 23 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 25 points off of turnovers.
ORU will have a week off before traveling to Sioux Falls, South Dakota, to participate in the 2016-17 Summit League Women's Basketball Championship at the Denny Sanford Premier Center. The Golden Eagles' seed selection, opponent, along with game date and time has yet to be determined.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.