Score: Oral Roberts 50 – South Dakota State 65
Records: Oral Roberts (15-15) (7-9); South Dakota State (22-7 (12-4)
Location: Denny Sanford Premier Center – Sioux Falls, S.D.
Sioux Falls, S.D. – Faith Ihim and Maria Martianez both scored in double digits as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to South Dakota State 65-50 in the Summit League Championship Quarterfinal round at the Denny Sanford Premier Center in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.
South Dakota State jumped out early on an 8-0 run. Faith Ihim scored the next six points for the Golden Eagles to trail SDSU 8-6. ORU extended its run to 8-0 and was tied with the Jackrabbits 8-8 at the first media timeout. SDSU went on a 5-0 run after the timeout, but the Golden Eagles cut the lead down to three by the end of the quarter. The Golden Eagles trailed SDSU 17-14 at the end of the first quarter. Both teams shot 46 percent in the first.
The Golden Eagles came out in the second quarter and took a 20-19 lead with 7:10 remaining. ORU played impressive defense in the second quarter by holding South Dakota State to only 10 points. ORU shot 41 percent from the field in the first half and went in to halftime tied with SDSU 27-27. The Golden Eagles forced South Dakota State to turn the ball over 11 times in the first half.
Ashley Beatty opened the second half with a three-point bucket to take a three-point lead. South Dakota State eliminated ORU's lead and took a nine point lead late in the third quarter. Maria Martianez hit a bucket to cut the lead to seven before the end of the quarter.
The Jackrabbits went ahead by 12 in the fourth and continued to shoot 50 percent from the field. SDSU finished the day shooting 52.3 percent overall while the Golden Eagles finished with 36.8 percent shooting. South Dakota State extended its lead to 15 and won by a score of 65-50.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 36.8 percent overall in today's game.
- ORU was out-rebounded by South Dakota State 39-23.
- The Golden Eagles had a 21.4 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 10 times, but forced the Jackrabbits to turn the ball over 18 times.
- ORU shot 55.6 percent from the free-throw line.
- Kaylan Mayberry created three assists in today's game.
- Faith Ihim recorded 15 points and recorded three rebounds in the game. Ihim also had one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and six rebounds in the game along with three assists.
- Rachel Skalnik grabbed two rebounds and had one assist.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled five points and grabbed four rebounds with one block.
- Ashley Beatty scored eight points and recorded one rebound with one steal.
- Lakota Beatty scored five points on the day with two rebounds, three assists and six steals.
- Jordan Gilbert recorded three points along with one rebound, one assist and two steals in today's game.
- ORU had 18 points in the paint and 23 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 14 points off of turnovers.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.