Score: Oral Roberts 58 – TCU 72
Records: Oral Roberts (0-1) (0-0); TCU (1-0) (0-0)
Location: Schollmaier Arena – Fort Worth, Texas
FORT WORTH, Texas – Sarah Garvie scored 20 points in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's 72-58 season opening loss at TCU Saturday afternoon in Fort Worth, Texas.
The Golden Eagles won the opening tip and despite a slow start from the field, they shot 43 percent from the field in the first quarter. Momentum really turned in the Golden Eagles favor when Jordan Gilbert took a key charge in the paint that would give ORU the ball back to close out the first period. ORU led TCU 15-14 at the end of the first 10 minutes. Freshman Maya Mayberry led the team with six points, while Faith Ihim and Montserrat Brotons each had three rebounds.
TCU opened the second quarter with back-to-back three point buckets to start and eventually took a 14 point lead. The Golden Eagles started to chip away at the deficit, but went in to halftime trailing 44-30. In the first half, ORU shot 46 percent from the field while TCU shot 50 percent. Maya Mayberry continued to lead the team in points with eight, followed by Sarah Garvie with six.
The Golden Eagles cut TCU's lead from 14 to eight when Sarah Garvie hit back-to-back thre-point buckets. Garvie led the team with 12 points at the end of the third. TCU eventually got up by as much as 18 points. ORU came back to cut the deficit to eight when Sarah Garvie drained another one of her seven three-point buckets. ORU trailed 58-45 at the end of the third period and out-scored TCU 15-14 in the period.
Garvie opened the fourth quarter with another three-point bucket to cut TCU's lead to 10. The Golden Eagles got as close as nine points to the Horned Frogs, but TCU went on a short 6-0 run to close out the game and won 72-58. TCU shot 46 percent on the day and went 77 percent from the free-throw line.
Oral Roberts: Sarah Garvie led the team with 20 points. Maria Martianez recorded nine rebounds on the day.
TCU: Jordan Thompson scored 21 points for the Horned Frogs and led the team with eight rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 37.9 percent overall in today's game.
- TCU out-rebounded ORU 39-35.
- The Golden Eagles had a 31.8 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 17 times, but forced the Horned Frogs to turn the ball over 13 times.
- ORU shot 50 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored six points and recorded seven rebounds in the game.
- Maria Martianez had nine points and nine rebounds in the game along with two steals.
- Rachel Skalnik scored three points with three rebounds and three assists.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled two points and grabbed five rebounds.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored two points and recorded one rebound.
- Regan Schumacher recorded two points and two rebounds.
- ORU had 34 points in the paint and 36 bench points in today's game.
- Golden Eagles capitalized with 11 points off of turnovers.
ORU will stay in the DFW metroplex and compete against the University of Texas at Arlington Mavericks Monday, November 13, at 7 p.m. inside College Park Center in Arlington, Texas.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.