Score: Oral Roberts 66 – Arkansas 77
Records: Oral Roberts (1-3) (0-0); Arkansas (3-1) (0-0)
Location: Mabee Center – Tulsa, Okla.
TULSA, Okla. – Faith Ihim scored her 1,000th career point as a Golden Eagle and her 13th career double-double as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team fell to Arkansas, 77-66, Monday evening at the Mabee Center on Native American Heritage Night.
The Golden Eagles stormed out the gate and took an early 4-0 lead over Arkansas. Going in to the first media timeout, ORU led the Razorbacks 16-10. Faith Ihim and Montserrat Brotons led the team with five points each. The Golden Eagles shot 53.3 overall in the first and 50 percent from the arc. Arkansas ended the quarter ahead, 25-21.
ORU trailed in the second quarter by as much as nine points. The Golden Eagles came back, but Arkansas led at the half 40-36. Overall, ORU shot 48.3 percent from the field in the first 20 minutes of play. Sarah Garvie went 3-4 from the three point arc. Garvie and Montserrat Brotons led the team with nine points each in the first half.
In a close third quarter Arkansas out-scored ORU 16-13. Ihim grabbed five of her 11 total rebounds in the 10 minute span and the led the team with four points. Arkansas shot 36.8 percent in the third compared to ORU going 31.3 percent. The Golden Eagles trailed 56-49 at the end of the third.
Ihim scored her 1,000th career point in the fourth on a layup that brought ORU back to within 12 points. The Golden Eagles made a rally in the fourth when Sarah Garvie hit a big three-point bucket to pull the team to within seven with three minutes to go. Arkansas then extended its lead back to 11 and free-throws kept the Razorbacks in front. Overall, the Golden Eagles went 22-58 from the field for 37.9 percent. Both teams grabbed 41 rebounds in the game.
Faith Ihim becomes the 20th member of the ORU women's basketball 1,000-point club and the 10th women's basketball student-athlete to have 1,000-plus points and 500-plus rebounds in her career.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim led the team with 13 points and 11 rebounds for her 13th career double-double.
Arkansas: Malica Monk scored 24 points, while Devin Cosper recorded a double-double with 21 points and 10 rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 37.9 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU and Arkansas each had 41 rebounds.
- The Golden Eagles had a 31.8 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 12 times, but forced the Razorbacks to turn the ball over four times.
- ORU shot 78.9 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 13 points and recorded 11 rebounds in the game for her 13th career double-double.
- Maria Martianez had 11 points and nine rebounds in the game along with four assists.
- Rachel Skalnik scored three points in the game.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled 11 points and grabbed four rebounds in 21 minutes of play.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored six points and recorded one rebound along with one steal.
- Maya Mayberry recorded eight points. Mayberry also had one steal and one assist.
- Regan Schumacher grabbed one rebound in the game.
- Jordan Doyle had one steal.
- ORU had 28 points in the paint and 21 bench points in tonight's game.
ORU will host the Houston Baptist Huskies for the final home game of 2017, Saturday, November 25 at 12:30 p.m. inside the Mabee Center. The Golden Eagles will then have their next 11 games on the road. ORU returns to the Mabee Center Thursday, January 11.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.