Score: Oral Roberts 64 – Long Beach State 58
Records: Oral Roberts (4-3) (0-0); Long Beach State (1-6) (0-0)
Location: Dahlberg Arena – Missoula, Mont.
MISSOULA, Mont. – Maya Mayberry led the Oral Roberts women's basketball team with 10 points in 64-58 win over Long Beach State Friday evening in the Lady Griz Classic at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula, Montana.
Maya Mayberry opened the game with a three-point bucket that sparked an early 5-0 run. The Golden Eagles defense held the 49ers to just seven points in the first quarter and 20 percent overall from the field. ORU ended the first 10 minutes up 16-7. Montserrat Brotons and Maria Martianez led Golden Eagles with four points each. ORU shot 54 percent from the field in the first quarter.
Sarah Garvie and Faith Ihim got the Golden Eagles going in the second quarter. Ihim scored a quick jumper out of the gate to extend ORU's lead, while Garvie scored a quick five points to extend her point total to seven. Long Beach State scored a late quarter bucket to make it a 10-point game going in to halftime. The 49ers scored 16 points in the second, while the Golden Eagles scored 17. In the first half, ORU shot 50 percent overall and 40 percent from three-point range. Sarah Garvie led the Golden Eagles with seven first-half points.
ORU extended its lead by as much as 15 before Long Beach State cut the lead down 13 at the end of the of the third. Maya Mayberry led the way with 10 points in the game going 4-for-6 from the field. The Golden Eagles ended the third up 50-37.
Long Beach State stormed back in the fourth to make it a four point game with 15 seconds remaining with 21 fourth quarter points. Down the stretch, Keni Jo Lippe went 7-for-8 from the free-throw line to stretch ORU's lead to six ultimately allowing the Golden Eagles to get the win. ORU finished the game shooting 47.9 percent from the field and 33.3 percent from the three-point line.
Oral Roberts: Maya Mayberry led the team with 10 points. Maria Martianez grabbed 12 rebounds in the game.
Long Beach State: Mason VanHouten scored 10 points, while Cecily Wilson recorded six rebounds.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 47.9 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Long Beach State 40-33.
- The Golden Eagles had a 33.3 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 26 times, but forced the 49ers to turn the ball over 20 times.
- ORU shot 76.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored seven points and grabbed eight rebounds along with three assists and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had eight points and 12 rebounds with two assists, one steal and one block.
- Rachel Skalnik scored five points in the game and grabbed four rebounds.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled seven points and grabbed three rebounds in the game along with one block and one steal.
- Keni Jo Lippe scored seven points and recorded four rebounds with one assist.
- Maya Mayberry scored 10 points with one rebound, two assists, one block and one steal.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied nine points and grabbed three rebounds in her first start of the season. Gilbert also had two steals and two assists.
- Sarah Garvie scored nine points with three rebounds and two assists along with two steals.
- Regan Schumacher scored two points and grabbed one rebound with one block and one steal.
- ORU had 22 points in the paint and 21 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 13 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will face Cal State Fullerton Saturday, December 2 at 6 p.m. inside Dalhberg Arena in Missoula, Montana, for game two of the Lady Griz Classic.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.