Score: Oral Roberts 60 – Cal State Fullerton 50
Records: Oral Roberts (5-3) (0-0); Cal State Fullerton (2-6) (0-0)
Location: Dahlberg Arena – Missoula, Mont.
MISSOULA, Mont. – Faith Ihim and Maria Martianez each scored 14 points in the Oral Roberts women's basketball team's 60-50 win over Cal State Fullerton in the Lady Griz Classic at Dahlberg Arena in Missoula, Montana.
For the second consecutive game, Maya Mayberry scored the first points for the Golden Eagles with a three-point jumper. Maria Martianez led the way for ORU in the first with six points going 3-for-6 from the field. The Golden Eagles shot 60 percent from the field in the first and 67 percent from the three-point line. At the end of the first, ORU led Cal State Fullerton 21-17.
The Golden Eagles took a 10-point lead in the second at the seven minute mark. ORU eventually took a 14-point lead during the quarter. Jordan Gilbert, Faith Ihim and Maya Mayberry each had four points in the second. The Golden Eagle defense held the Titans to12 points in the second and led at halftime, 37-29. The Golden Eagles shot 53 percent from the field in the first half and held Cal State Fullerton to a 38 percent overall average.
ORU went on an 8-0 run in the third and took a 16-point lead. Rachel Skalnik led the team with four points during the run. The Golden Eagles took their largest lead of the game at 17 before ending the third up by 16 points. ORU continued to shoot more than 50 percent from the field in the third with Faith Ihim leading the team with 11 points. ORU's defense held the Titans to just seven points in the third.
The Golden Eagles extended their lead to 15 in the fourth before Cal State Fullerton made it an 11-point game with less than five minutes to go. After back-to-back buckets by Maria Martianez and a pair of free-throws by Faith Ihim, ORU got the lead back to 13. The Golden Eagles held on and won 60-50. The Golden Eagles finished the night 48.1 percent from the field and 66.7 percent from the three-point line.
Oral Roberts: Faith Ihim and Maria Martianez each scored 14 points. Jordan Gilbert grabbed eight rebounds.
Cal State Fullerton: Daeja Smith scored 17 points and recorded 13 rebounds for a double-double.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 48.1 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded Cal State Fullerton 33-30.
- The Golden Eagles had a 66.7 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 13 times, but forced the Titans to turn the ball over 18 times.
- ORU shot 54.5 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 14 points and grabbed seven rebounds along with six assists and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and three rebounds with five assists and one block.
- Rachel Skalnik scored six points in the game and grabbed three rebounds with one assist, one block and one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed five rebounds in the game along with one steal.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded one rebound and two assists in the game.
- Maya Mayberry scored nine points with three rebounds and one steal.
- Regan Schumacher recorded one rebound.
- ORU had 30 points in the paint and 10 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 14 points off turnovers.
ORU will travel to Kansas City, Missouri, to face UMKC Wednesday, December 6 at 7 p.m. inside Swinney Recreation Center.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.