Score: Oral Roberts 76 – Missouri-Kansas City 73
Records: Oral Roberts (6-3) (0-0); UMKC (1-7) (0-0)
Location: Swinney Recreation Center – Kansas City, Mo.
KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Maria Martianez recorded her second double-double of the season as the Oral Roberts women's basketball team continued its winning streak with a 76-73 win over UMKC Wednesday evening at the Swinney Recreation Center.
The Golden Eagles got off to a slow start Wednesday evening and fell behind 12-9 late in the quarter. Faith Ihim had six of the team's nine points. Keni Jo Lippe tied the game with just over two minutes go with a 3-point bucket. ORU took its first lead of the game with less than two minutes when Maria Martianez scored her first bucket of the game. The Golden Eagles took a 17-14 lead to close out quarter number one after Rachel Skalnik scored the game leading 3-point shot. ORU closed out on a 7-0 run. The Golden Eagles shot 47 percent from the field and 30 percent from the 3-point line in the first 10 minutes.
Faith Ihim scored her 10th point of the game early in the second quarter to even the game at 21 all. Before drawing her second foul of the game, Ihim started the contest 5-for-6 from the field. The Golden Eagles went on another 7-0 run that was capitalized by a Maya Mayberry 3-point shot. Mayberry hit back-to-back 3-point shots to give ORU its largest lead of the game at six. The Kangaroos stormed back and made it a 37-36 game going in to halftime. Both teams shot above 50 percent overall in the first half. Ihim led the way for ORU with 10 first-half points.
The Kangaroo's defense came out in the second half with a full-court press, but the Golden Eagles broke the press easily and scored quick back-to-back uncontested layups. ORU got up by as much as seven in the third quarter. Faith Ihim was charged her fourth foul of the game and did not play the final two minutes. ORU led 51-48 at the end of the quarter.
In the fourth, ORU took another seven point lead, but UMKC clawed back to make it a two point game with just over seven minutes left in the quarter. After making a pair of free throws, the Kangaroos tied the game at 55-55 all. Maria Martianez recorded her second double-double of the season in the fourth and finished the regulation with 12 points and 11 rebounds. Down by two points with nine seconds remaining, Ihim scored the game tying layup to send the game in to overtime.
After beginning the overtime period, taking a four point lead, UMKC came back to tie the game with two minutes to go. With five seconds remaining in the game, Ihim took a key offensive foul to give ORU the possession and a 75-73 lead. With two seconds remaining in the overtime period, UMKC forced a shot to tie the game, but missed. The Golden Eagles won 76-73. ORU finished the night going 51 percent from the field and 27 percent from the three-point line.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- ORU shot 51 percent overall in tonight's game.
- ORU out-rebounded UMKC 40-24.
- The Golden Eagles had a 27 percent three-point average.
- ORU turned the ball over 25 times, but forced the Kangaroos to turn the ball over 18 times.
- ORU shot 75 percent from the free-throw line.
- Faith Ihim scored 23 points and grabbed seven rebounds along with one assist and one steal.
- Maria Martianez had 14 points and 11 rebounds for her second double-double of the season. She also had seven assists, two steals and two blocks.
- Rachel Skalnik scored five points in the game and grabbed two rebounds with one assist one steal.
- Montserrat Brotons totaled four points and grabbed one rebound in the game.
- Keni Jo Lippe recorded nine points, two rebounds along with two assists and one steal in the game.
- Maya Mayberry scored eight points with one rebound and four assists.
- Jordan Gilbert tallied two points and six rebounds. Gilbert also had three assists.
- Sarah Garvie scored 10 points and grabbed three rebounds in tonight's contest. She also had one assist and three steals.
- ORU had 34 points in the paint and 19 bench points in tonight's game.
- The Golden Eagles scored 22 points off turnovers.
The Golden Eagles will travel up Interstate-44 for a Sunday matchup against Missouri State on December 10, inside the JQH Arena at 2 p.m.
For the latest information on ORU women's basketball, follow @ORUWBB on Twitter or go to www.ORUAthletics.com. Fans can also receive updates on the team by downloading the Golden Eagles Front Row App at ORUAthletics.com/frontrow or in the App Store.